Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)  (Read 12525 times)

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Hi all, just got back from an 800mile trip to Scotland with friends and noticed while I was up there that the front and rear tyres are wearing very differently. Bearing in mind this is my first adventure bike so it may be the norm, but the it has the original Metzler Tourance Next tyres on and the bike now has 5200 miles on, I noticed that the rear tyre is squaring off a bit which I'm not surprised as it's probably had an equal amount of motorway as it foes twisties, and as I expected the middle of the tyre is worn further to the wear marker than the shoulders., the front however is another story. The front is worn more on the shoulders, ALOT more, to the point that there is a 3 inch patch in the middle of the front tyre then a mega step which then goes onto the shoulders, which are further to the wear marker than the middle. I'm used to going through 2 rears to every front. Also, what I notice is that there is a very suspicious patch on the front tyre, only on the RHS which you can see in the second pic it's the same all around the tyre at spaced intervals. I have checked suspension settings and everything is standard and also tyre pressures are bob on.

Unfortunately I also notice brake judder this weekend too, a pulsing at low speed and a judder at anything about 65mph depending on if my wife was on the back.

Any experienced this?

The rear :

The front (noticed the left side of the pic) :

Thanks

Paul.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »
Hi peejay I found this:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13999.msg188268/topicseen.html#msg188268

Looks the same as you are experiencing  :012:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
Mine did the same, I did some research and came to the conclusion that it was normal.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Offline Skipper

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Pontypridd
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:20:53 AM »
Hi, I posted the same on here some time ago. Mine were exactly the same and about the same mileage - rubbish! I'm running Bridgestone at the moment. Will be doing a fair bit of mileage these next few months but they seem to be wearing better.  I think it's due to the narrower front wheel. My mate has a new Africa Twin and that seems similar as far as wear on the front tyre.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »
If it were me i would not ride it - whip the wheel off - both can be done on the centre stand with a block under the engine and get it changed asap - you will feel a massive difference and be safer from punctures and errant white lines  !
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline XRXman

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: XRX Explorer
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
My originals Tourance Next tyres worn just the same as these. On all previous bikes I've had never had the front wearing out before the rear. Very poor.
Changed to Michelin Pilot Road 4's. Transformed the bikes handling. Got 6K out of the front, now on second set.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
Yup-same thing happened to me, plus the front wore at the same rate as the rear. Any other bike the front has lasted 50% longer. I had a GSXR600 at one time which had that front wear pattern too .

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
Hi peejay I found this:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,13999.msg188268/topicseen.html#msg188268

Looks the same as you are experiencing  :012:

Yup, that's me.  Rear wear is normal, front is showing significant patches coming through off-center just like on the above pic.  Suddenly showed up about 3200 miles, now at 3500.  Have been using recommended stock tire pressures.  The patches are at intervals around the circumference and seem to be a softer composition, you can see the abrasion the road is causing and there is a slight lip at the edges.  After 40+ years of street riding, this is not normal.  I've seen dual compound tires and as they wear, you can see the different layers sometimes by the slight change in color, however this is very different.  Either a poor design or a bad batch.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:41:38 PM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
Thanks all, gonna speak to the dealer tomorrow but I suspect for the tyre they aren't gonna want to help but I need to speak to them about the brakes, it's got all the hallmarks of a warped disc which isn't good if I'm right.

As for removing the wheels myself, it's what I always did previously but this is the first bike I haven't been able to use paddock stands on. I can see it's easy to stick it on the centre stand, remove the rear, then jack up the sump (carefully) to access the front.

For those with the new model Explorer, can anyone confirm my thoughts, it looks like for the rear it's just 15mm wheel nuts after removing the rear caliper, it doesn't seem to need the ABS sensor touching?

For the front, it looks like it's an axle socket with a 17mm diameter, but it also looks like I may need to unbolt and slide out the ABS sensor as it seems to sit right against the disc?

If anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
A couple of pics.  On the first one you can actually feel the lip between the two layers just where the grove starts:
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Recent Topics

nonskid