Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)  (Read 11842 times)

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by peejay1977 [+]
Thanks all, gonna speak to the dealer tomorrow but I suspect for the tyre they aren't gonna want to help but I need to speak to them about the brakes, it's got all the hallmarks of a warped disc which isn't good if I'm right.

As for removing the wheels myself, it's what I always did previously but this is the first bike I haven't been able to use paddock stands on. I can see it's easy to stick it on the centre stand, remove the rear, then jack up the sump (carefully) to access the front.

For those with the new model Explorer, can anyone confirm my thoughts, it looks like for the rear it's just 15mm wheel nuts after removing the rear caliper, it doesn't seem to need the ABS sensor touching?

For the front, it looks like it's an axle socket with a 17mm diameter, but it also looks like I may need to unbolt and slide out the ABS sensor as it seems to sit right against the disc?

If anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

You don't have to remove the rear caliper, it stays on the shaft/swingarm assembly.  Just unbolt the rear lug nuts and the wheel alone comes off.  On the front, haven't removed mine yet so someone will have to confirm, but usually you can remove just the right side caliper (as seen from sitting on the bike) and that will give enough clearance to get the wheel out.  Should not have to remove the ABS sensor.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
You don't have to remove the rear caliper, it stays on the shaft/swingarm assembly.  Just unbolt the rear lug nuts and the wheel alone comes off.  On the front, haven't removed mine yet so someone will have to confirm, but usually you can remove just the right side caliper (as seen from sitting on the bike) and that will give enough clearance to get the wheel out.  Should not have to remove the ABS sensor.

Thanks mate, gonna get a price from my local tyre dude, as long as I don't jack the front up too much I should be ok with it on the centre stand.

Just cleaned the disc buttons, at least 50% couldn't be moved by hand so used the bolt trick and some brake cleaner and they all now move freely. Will see what the brakes are like with new rubber on.

Offline daveb500

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tadcaster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 07:22:53 AM »
Ive had similar on the Metzler tyres on 2 different bike makes. I changed my Tex to Michelin PR4 trail, much better. Something I found on the Metzler is they are very sensitive to tyre pressure, let the pressure drop a couple of psi and they start to heat, your front looked like a blister.
As to the brake judder, I think your fronts are now Brembo. the Brembo pads are hard, more for track day use. My Moto Guzzi had Brembo's on, and at its first MOT they tried to fail it due to warped discs. I took the bike away, and fitted EBC pads, and with the same discs the bike passed, all signs of judder had gone. I found the Brembo pads needed to be worked hard to get some heat in them.

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
The same hear, the back was OK but a bit flattened but the front had started to de-laminate at 6,500 miles.

My conclusion is that a heavy bike coupled with ABS means that I use the front brake harder than all my other bikes.

I did however find my front tyre pressure was 12psi below the recommended level so I think tyre pressure is critical.

I have fitted Metz Next again but know use the rear brake more and check the tyre pressure weekly.
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline Howdy66

• Explorer Junior
  • Retired old git
  • Bike: Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
Similar problems on the front of my XRx.

1,000 miles to Ballons, back via Ardenes and the edges of the front tyre was below legal in no time quick.  Tourance just not up to the job.  Similar experience with other club members so now fitted Dunlop Roadsmart III.

Howdy66

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 08:55:07 PM »
Had a set of Pilot Road 4's fitted today, don't trust the Tourance anymore I'm afraid.

Offline DesertStrom

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XCa
  • City / Town: Noord Holland
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »
Same story here.
7000 km / 4500 miles and the front tyre is gone.
Front was sliding in the wet as well, causing unscheduled underwear laundry-tasks. :230:
Rear was cupped which is pretty unusual for me.

Changed them yesterday for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.

Offline Tiny

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Interested to see how you get on with the Trails, they are made in the same factory on the same machinery.

Offline Jordi67

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Molins de Rei
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
Same problem in my front tire, but it have been appeared around 10000 kms.

Offline DesertStrom

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XCa
  • City / Town: Noord Holland
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiny [+]
Interested to see how you get on with the Trails, they are made in the same factory on the same machinery.
We'll see how they go, did a short trip today and so far so good, will let you know when it's time to replace.
Had a set before on my 2012 TEX, without any problems.
Speaking with my tyre-supplier, the Tourance tyre I had was a so-called OEM-tyre for new bikes. Seems they use a different rubber-compound compared to the "regular" tyres.
Good chance a new set of "regular" Tourances would behave better, but I had a positive experience with the Pirelli before.

Recent Topics

nonskid