Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)  (Read 11843 times)

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
Re: Unusual tyre wear - Metzler Tourance Next (2016 XR)
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
Guy who did my Road 4 Trails yesterday swears the Tourance I had on there were made in China. He's seen a few like that. Been out today, hundred or so miles mainly wet which wasn't great for scrubbing tyres in but it was a fun day and I got to meet and ride with Bruce Smart (TeapotOne) for a while.

Offline mbescher

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Hermance
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »
Pretty much the same thing with my 2016 Explorer XCA. This is my front tyre after 8,500 km on OEM Metzeler Tourance Next.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by mbescher [+]
Pretty much the same thing with my 2016 Explorer XCA. This is my front tyre after 8,500 km on OEM Metzeler Tourance Next.

Same as my 2015 Explorer and it's starting to track badly on ruts and tar lines, I'll be ditching them soon for PR4's, much better and more even wear  :028:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline MalD

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Llangollen
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
Mine is exactly the same. Front tyre completley shot after 5000 miles. Shan't go for the toTourance next again!!!

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
I was talking to Bruce Smart yesterday and he rang Metzeler about tyres for his GS and they recommended Roadtec's 01's apparently instead of Tourance. I won't be going back to Tourance I can tell you. I did just over 100miles yesterday on the R4 Trails and they were sublime, even in the wet barely scrubbed in!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
Just heard back from the dealer, Triumph won't warranty the tire.  They told the dealer I would have to take it up with Metzler.  Disappointing, but I expected that and won't be pursuing it.  Have a Scorion Trail II waiting to go on.  Over here we can't get the Roadsmart III for the front, only the rear, would like to try a set.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Tiny

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by DesertStrom [+]
We'll see how they go, did a short trip today and so far so good, will let you know when it's time to replace.
Had a set before on my 2012 TEX, without any problems.
Speaking with my tyre-supplier, the Tourance tyre I had was a so-called OEM-tyre for new bikes. Seems they use a different rubber-compound compared to the "regular" tyres.
Good chance a new set of "regular" Tourances would behave better, but I had a positive experience with the Pirelli before.

There an element of truth in different compounds for OE tyres however it is much more an 'urban myth' than fact. Tyres produced for the OE market are built to very strict criteria, usually to a specification that the vehicle manufacturer has requested. Compounds are sometimes different however not in the way you may think.

In all manufacturing streams there is a certain amount of by-product or waste. In the rubber industry, non vulcanised compounds are often reworked. This is usually through the inclusion of a small amount of rework in a specific compound, 5% may be typical. If a tyre is solely produced for the replacement market, a greater proportion of reworked compound may be included however the performance characteristics will remain unchanged, the tyre could not be homologated to more than one standard.

What is more common in a tyre is for the uniformity standards to change from on OE tyre to a replacement market tyre. This is often because a manufacturer will specify a tyre with a specific set of uniformity values for a specific vehicle, tyres that fall outside of these values may not be selected for OE supply but may still be fit for the replacement market. This is not because a tyre is unfit, rather it is because if say Triumph specify a tyre with specific harmonic or radial force values than these values are only specific to a tyre supplied to Triumph for a specific vehicle. If the said tyre were supplied to BMW, those values are unlikely to be relevant & could even oppose values selected for that customer. It is not uncommon for a tyre manufacturer to supply the same tyre to a manufacturer selected to different standards for two different vehicles in the manufacturers product range. Vibration, harmonics & directional forces are all things tyre manufacturers tune out of tyres for specific purposes. Arguably, this is more appropriate for four wheel vehicle tyres but the facts remain, unless you buy an OE supplied tyre from Triumph, the tyre you are buying may not be the same as a tyre from a replacement supplier. This is one of the reasons tyres for an OE customer often have a designation marking on the SW.

All tyres have a country of origin marking on the SW, if it was made in China it would say so, as far as Metzeler go, I do not believe they are made in China for the European market the Tourance Next as far as I am aware is only made in the Breuberg factory in Germany for the Euro market. If it was made in China, it will state it on the SW.

For what it's worth, I think the Tourance next is a brilliant tyre, I have zero issues with handling & my riding style may be more aggressive than some. As for wear, I still have a very new set of tyres after 3k miles & living in the lake district I ride on some very twisty, often poorly surfaced roads. I replaced Bridgestones on mine which were a little wayward in the wet however as they were worn, I was not getting a true comparison. It is unfortunate with tyres that you are usually benchmarking a worn out tyre who's feel you have become accustomed to with the new tyre you have just fitted. Its often very difficult to make a back to back comparison accurately when comparing a worn X with a new Y.

Offline daveb500

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Tadcaster
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
I agree in many ways with the last contributor. However I always seem to have bad experiences with Metzler tyres no matter what bike. An old Honda 650 twin I had came with metzlers fitted, they were worn out in 7000 miles, the front badly worn. So bad I thought the frame was out, I had it checked before changing tyres.  I replaced the Metzlers with Pirelli Road Angels. I did over 30000 miles on that bike. using 3 rears and 2 fronts. My next bike was a Moto Guzzi Norge, it has MEtzlers on again, the original set. The bike had only done 1500 miles when I bought it. again the front went in less than 5000 miles, and the rear also worn out at same mileage. On this bike though I stuck with Metzler and put a new set on. (My dealer didn't have a suitable alternative) These did a trip around Europe and the alps, and were again shot in about 6500 miles, Again the front was worn badly on the right hand side, one other factor was they went from acceptable to knackered completely in 200 miles. That's a single days ride for me. I moved then onto Michelin PR the rears did 8000 miles and the front 12000 with no signs of wear. I did 55000 miles on that bike. So onto the Tex, once more it came with Metzler Tourance, I thought well its a different series of tyre, Tourance vs roadtec (might be wrong) but still the same issues low milage, and rapid wear at the end. Its as if the yare fine with the top surface of rubber, then as they wear you go through that running surface and onto something far less durable, but as far as depth is concerned they are acceptable, then not, in a very short distance. Now I'm on PR4 trail, mileage to date is 2700 miles, and there is no signs of wear, grip is good. See my piece on riding on black ice. (6 miles of black ice). So for me I'm afraid Metzler have had it, their rubber does not suit me, my riding style, (which is steady), and the distances I ride. A short ride is 200 miles, a good days ride is more like 450 miles. I always run with tyre pressures correct, I am a short arse, and quite light, so apart from my luggage, which on a tour includes tent etc the bike is not overly stressed. I don't do offreaod much, but do like narrow, rough surfaced country roads.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
I'm afraid most of my experience matches daveb above.  From a Z6 (Guzzi Norge) then Z8 (FJR) which went from feeling great to horrible in about 2k miles, and now the  (Tex) with terrible front wear and weird de-laminating.  So no more Metzlers for me for while.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:05:09 PM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »
I am running Tourance (the original, not next etc) on a DL650 without any issues although have too say longevity isn't good.  Interestingly the pressures on DL650 are lower at 33 & 36 - but then it is a lighter bike.
Regardless of mileage I believe Metzeler have an QA issue as the partial de-lamination/blistering seen in some of the photo's should not happen under normal road conditions and could prove to be dangerous.  Conversely if it is a OE tyre that has been specified by the manufacturer then it could of course be the manufacturer got the spec wrong !

Either way suggest the issue needs pursuing with Metzeler in first instance (knowing Triumph don't warrant tyres).  If Metzeler find the Triumph spec is wrong they are likely do something about it to save their own reputation.

Meanwhile I have been warned off - staying away from Metzelers on the Tex.  PR4's are predictable if not a bit stiff/harsh on the ride and slow to turn - PR3s were better in that respect but Michelin listened to complaints about un-even front wear so changed them.  MCT Suspension recommended I drop rear PR4 to 36 psi (have gone to 38) to improve the ride (riding paved roads only)

Chippy
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Recent Topics