Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unusual tyre wear (2016 XR)  (Read 3533 times)

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
Re: Unusual tyre wear (2016 XR)
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
Well I've done a few hundred miles now on the PR4's in sunshine and rain and I love them. I was never unhappy with the turn in on the Tourance but these have reminded me how much I love Michelins. I also cleaned the freed up the brake rotor buttons which almost eliminated the brake judder I was getting and last night I cleaned the brakes and copper greased the sliding parts of the parts and the backs and now the low speed pulsing seems to have gone as well as the annoying high pitched brake squeal at low speed light braking.

Offline mrhydea4

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Winchester
Piling on the Tourance Next fail wagon
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Mine went at 6K miles. The rear tire looks like I could get another 6K+ out of it.

Offline mrhydea4

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Winchester
Some additional info
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
So I've been chasing this with both Triumph and Metzeler.

Triumph, as expected, completely dismissed it as a wear item.

Metzeler, however, has at least been willing to discuss the situation. They agreed that the wear pattern indicated underinflation or overloading. Since I am 100% sure I've been within Triumph's spec, that leaves overloading. What they suggested is that 32psi for the front tire might be a compromise for both on- and off-road riding and that the tires might fair better running at 36psi for on-road riding.

Which is interesting, because it reminded me of something I'd seen in the manual. EVERY image showing the TPMS readout shows 36F/42R.

To me, this indicates Triumph screwed up with their spec. Wouldn't you expect them to reinforce the correct pressures by showing them in these images?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:35:36 PM by mrhydea4 »

Offline walkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRX low
  • City / Town: Dunoon
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Lads your not trying hard enough. Left Scotland with good tyres plenty life left at 3900 miles on clock. Got back 5 days later with another 1900 miles on clock and front tyre was wrecked. Got a new tyre from Metzeler for free and got a new rear fitted at same time. Loved the Tourance Next for grip so no qualms getting them again but will try at 36 and 42 this time.

Offline Ex.pat

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200xcx
  • City / Town: Alston
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
How'd you manage to get Metzeler to stump up for a freebie? My front is also shot at 4,500mls but back still has a good 6,000 left in it.

Offline walkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRX low
  • City / Town: Dunoon
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Sent them pics via Facebook messanger and they arranged it for new tyre to be sent to dealer and old one sent to them so they could see what the problem was.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
Well just an update to this thread, obviously I've had the PR4's fitted which transformed the bike. Sadly though even after cleaning up the front brake rotor buttons the brake judder came back and began getting worse.

It went in to Youles on Saturday who replaced the Brembo discs and pads under warranty and the thing is again transformed. The brakes feel better than they ever did which is odd as it only had 400 miles on when I bought it. Also had the engine/frame nuts replaced as part of the recall too.

Can't fault the service from Youles, exceptional at every turn. Ironically though I've now had 2 warranty jobs done on the bike in 6000miles and both were "aftermarket" parts (Brembo and the WP shock) which I was surprised about as I'd have expected any poor quality parts to be the in house manufactured ones. I know the WP shock and Brembo's aren't the same as you'd buy if you ordered direct but I'm still surprised those are the items I've had issue with.

Offline Howdy66

• Explorer Junior
  • Retired old git
  • Bike: Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
Had similar problems.  I put it down to too low pressures.  The book states 2.2 & 2.7 bar front and back whereas most tyre dealers and service shops I have spoken with about this recommend 2.5 and 2.9.  Second set of tyres has lasted a lot better. .

Howdy66

Offline kardins

• Explorer Junior
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
If it were me i would not ride it - whip the wheel off - both can be done on the centre stand with a block under the engine and get it changed asap - you will feel a massive difference and be safer from punctures and errant white lines  !

I absolutely agree with you

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Just looked at the front tyre on my XRX-Low and after just over 4000 miles the front is exhibiting exactly the same wear as everyone else who has commented in this thread. I'll be speaking with Metzeler about this, as its just not right - a front should last a lot longer than that

Interestingly mailed Triumph regards tyre pressures, given the picture (as posted by mrhydea4 earlier) and the spec at the back of the book, and they confirm it should be 2.2 and 2.7 bar. Given mine have been running at that (I have TPMS) then it has to be the tyre?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:56:15 PM by Hawkeye »

Recent Topics

nonskid