Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any recommendations for hot weather gear?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1190 Adventure....
Any recommendations for hot weather gear?
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
Not for riding at home in Scotland but possibly heading back to Colorado for a trip in mid August.
I did a similar trip last year but in slightly cooler September where my Rukka gear performed well if a bit sticky when working hard on some of the trails...

Anyway, has anyone got experience of this Rev'it gear?
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/rev-it-airwave-2-jacket-red-silver

Not fussed for being waterproof and seems to get a good review  :084:

Any thoughts any one?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Any recommendations for hot weather gear?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »
My wife has a very similar Rev'it jacket but hers has an additional warm liner. She thinks its great and with the liner actually wears it in preference to her winter jacket because its so light & comfy. I have Rev'it Airwave trousers for the summer and they do the job and comfy. Without hesitation I would have got the matching jacket like your considering but I already had a Triumph mesh jacket (a discontinued line or old stock and only cost £30 thanks to a tip off on this forum!). There maybe better more expensive summer gear, but I'm happy with the Rev'it stuff as good value for money....and ideal for our infrequent UK heat waves & occasional foreign tours.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
I wear this Spada Air Pro 2 jacket (with some RST armoured denim jeans) in hot weather:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/256127

I've used it in temps up to high 30s/low 40s and it's pretty good. Obviously at low speed I still get very hot, but on the move there's plenty of ventilation. I did sometimes have to try and get my arm in the airflow a bit more, but that's more to do with how the air flows around me and the bike than the jacket itself. The waterproof overjacket it comes with isn't brilliant (wrists big enough to get 3 arms through but doesn't velcro very well), but I used it anyway.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
Sometimes I wear motocross trousers in hot weather. One just needs to ensure that there is the usual armour included for knees and hips. In addition I also sometimes wear motocross body armour inside a light jacket with vents.

Offline Lanch

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Nuneaton
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
I have ridden in quite high temperatures 36C+, and once it gets higher you run the risk of becoming seriously dehydrated. Its the wind blast as you go quickly to cool off. I would seriously consider a Triumph cooling vest. You soak it, and it reduces your temperature by about 10c, got to be worth £55, when its red hot.  :029:
http://www.triumphworld.co.uk/buy/triumph-Cool-Vest/mfns15180

If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride.

Like I have a choice?

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lanch [+]
I have ridden in quite high temperatures 36C+, and once it gets higher you run the risk of becoming seriously dehydrated. Its the wind blast as you go quickly to cool off. I would seriously consider a Triumph cooling vest. You soak it, and it reduces your temperature by about 10c, got to be worth £55, when its red hot.  :029:
http://www.triumphworld.co.uk/buy/triumph-Cool-Vest/mfns15180

Cheers for all the replies.

I did get myself a cooling vest from HyperKewl for my trip last year that worked great under my Rukka gear but was just looking at alternatives. I survived with the combination of the black kit and the cooling  :034:
Rev'it seems to be decent enough kit  :084:

Thanks.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Don't know about that particular one, but Rev-It do have a very good reputation amongst practical bikers for good quality at affordable prices  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:31 PM »
Hyperkewl is awesome and I have a Spidi jacket that is well vented (mesh front) but still with plenty of protection. Rode with that combo in 110f for 6-8 hours and it worked a treat. Mind you, had to resoak the hyperkewl every 45 minutes and soak my head in water at the same time but still the best option.  :062:

I have used my Spidi Expedition in hot weather too and used the camelback type arrangement that comes with it. That helped a lot too but it didn't flow as much air as the mesh jacket.

Combo of the top and the camelback would be awesome and if you could rig up a way of getting water to your head on demand well...... you nailed it  :001:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »
Cheers,
I've a small givi tank bag that I used with a camelback bladder in it stuffed with ice/water that worked a treat.
Might just order and see what it's like.

Offline JENKS

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,
  • City / Town: west sussex
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »
Hax,  have you seen the new Rukka Orivesi Jacket and trousers.  That will be my choice for my trip around the Med this August..   it's got excellent full venting, is much lighter than your Argo suit but it still ranks highly in crash testing

AJ

Recent Topics

nonskid