Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SCUM bike thieves  (Read 1651 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: SCUM bike thieves
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ollyreid [+]
obviously catching their head on the lamp shroud!!
Makes me think about something: I have to file a patent for barbwired bike covers ;-)

Offline JJ Explorer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
You're doing as much as you can which is great but if they really want it they will.
I lost my GS last year out of my garage and had as much security as you.
I do like the idea of wiring it up to the grid and then filming the look on their faces just before they are shot for messing with your stuff, that should deter a few more of the scum and hopefully they would get the message as there is no deterrent from the Police.

Good luck with it mate  :028:
Cheers
JJ

Offline BlahBlah

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: S10
  • City / Town: Argyll
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
[quote author=Ollyreid link=topic=15561.msg189452#msg189452 date=14957968

.  On the LH fog light was a big clump of hair which the nosey sh#t had left behind after snooping under the cover and obviously catching their head on the lamp shroud!!  I was quiet happy with that!! 

So I am on the look out for a person with a clump of hair missing....
[/quote]

OooooH! That gotta hurt! Oh well! Every cloud has a silver lining. And if you keep your fingers crossed, maybe it'll get infected!
If you choose not to decide, then you have still made a decision!

Offline njloco

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger ex
  • City / Town: cntrl n.j.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
Many years ago, in the city, I snuck up on a guy messing around with my bike in the street, I taped him on the shoulder, he stood up and turned around, big guy, I kind of felt bad for him as he started to cry but, then remembered he was messing with my bike, sent him on his way still crying, I never laid a hand on him, he promised he would never come back, I told him if he did, next time I would squeeze the trigger !

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
quote author=njloco link=topic=15561.msg189487#msg189487 date=1495833227]
Many years ago, in the city, I snuck up on a guy messing around with my bike in the street, I taped him on the shoulder, he stood up and turned around, big guy, I kind of felt bad for him as he started to cry but, then remembered he was messing with my bike, sent him on his way still crying, I never laid a hand on him, he promised he would never come back, I told him if he did, next time I would squeeze the trigger !
[/quote]

:460: I would have loved to have seen the look on his face! Gotta love it.
Jon

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Just to make it clear: my post about barbwired covers was a JOKE.

I would NEVER hurt (let alone kill) someone to protect mere belongings.

Offline capt_ted

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gainesville,FL
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 02:41:25 AM »
The other night some moron was sitting on my bike parked outside of a diner. I have a small laser pointer on my keychain that I pointed on him and did he get off the bike and run away quickly. Only works at night.

However there is a Cycle Shell that I used to keep my Thunderbird in at the marina where I was working and living aboard a boat.  There salt air was the villain but I had an alarm on the shell that went off a few times. The alarm comes on the Dowco Bike cover and is just a pin on a small box that when the pin is pulled makes an ungodly loud sound. Wakes me up and I come running with my trusty slingshot and baseball bat. Everybody is scared of a slingshot as they know your going to use it unlike a gun.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-garage/

There might be something like it over on your side of the pond. I would appeal to the Landlady to let you put a ring in the ground. Perhaps a ground screw could be driven down enough to resist pulling out as the chain won't let it rotate.

My bikes are currently in my garage with an alarm system. I had someone try to break in but the police arrived in a few minutes and they hauled off. My neighbor with no alarm got ransacked.This is in the middle of Eastfumbuck Florida so even us country types are not immune to scum.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:43:25 AM by Motor_psycho »

Online Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 06:58:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Motor_psycho [+]
There might be something like it over on your side of the pond. I would appeal to the Landlady to let you put a ring in the ground. Perhaps a ground screw could be driven down enough to resist pulling out as the chain won't let it rotate.

Hi there Motor-psycho,

The landlady has relented and allowed me to fit a ground anchor !!  So that is my job this weekend after work.  But rather than bolt it in I intend to dig a big hole and concrete it in with long bolt extensions and minimum above ground - just enough to get a good chain through. 

As for the cover - I have also just purchased a TES (Total Enclosure System) similar to yours but without the frame.

https://www.merlinmotorcycles.co.uk/accessories/total-enclosure-system-tes/

It locks at the zipper and I have also purchased a form of panic alarm that has a pin operated system.  I will somehow fit that inside the cover and set the release pin as best I can to allow me to release it without setting it off early in the morning before work. 

It really bugs me that I am having to do all of this because of the low lifes out there.   

Lets see how that works....

Thanks for the advice by the way and the time taken to write your post !! 

Offline KevH

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »
A pity you could you not arrange for a few of your old Army mates to be in the right place at the right time to deal out some appropriate justice.

Shame you have to go to such lengths just to keep happy.

Recent Topics

nonskid