Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New suspension, feels like a proper bike now!  (Read 1724 times)

Offline trilerr

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX XC
  • City / Town: San Francisco
New suspension, feels like a proper bike now!
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:46 AM »
Just want to share my 0.02

I have a 2013 TEX and from day one I HATED the suspension. The forks were harsh on rough roads (Welcome to California) and it felt like they're sticking a bit. The rear was squishy 2 up but still you could feel every bump. Useless.

Started digging a bit and found a few options (some REALLY pricy ones as well - which is promptly skipped) and then decided to pull the trigger on a set of new cartridges for the front (Andreani fully adjustable kit - comes with springs) and a Wilbers 641 shock in the back (properly sprung for weight/style).

It feels like I have a new bike! (something along the lines what you would expect from a $20k adv bike  :230:). Finally the fron is planted, but doesn't break your hands when you hit a pothole.
Also love the adjustment - solo or 2 up with bags it still doesn't woble, pump or whatever else it did before.

Good place to have it done - Superplush in San Francisco. Awesome service, knowledgable techs and a happy customer! :)

Offline rob1066

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer & VFR 800
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: New suspension, feels like a proper bike now!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
Would like to do the same on mine when funds allow, often found suspension the best upgrade to spend money on. (A lot cheaper than a new bike!)

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
did exactly that last year.   Best thing you could ever do to the bike.    It's just so much better in all areas.    Money well spent if you intend keeping your bike for a few years.  Mine is a launch model 2012.
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
I got a local guy to revalve and respring my TEX's forks last year. They also changed the bushings, seals and fork oil. I am very happy with the end result at a reasonable cost. I might have them do the stock rear shock and some point, but it was less of an issue for me.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Pops

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
Have to agree about the suspension- it reall let my 2014 explorer down. I fixed it with the new model - the semi-active WP set up is absolutely brilliant. A totally different bike

Pops

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »
Thanks for your input!
I am changing my suspension at the moment and will consider all aspects. 
When it is dialed in, wow.

Looking to get where you have arrived at.
if you want something done right, do it again.

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:12:23 AM »
I did the Andriani cartridges and RaceTech rear spring and loved the results. Had no idea just how bad the forks were until after riding for the first time after installing the cartridges. Agree 100%, well planted and handles the peaks and valleys like a champ. Did my forks myself and would say it is not as bad as it would seem. You will have to replace the lower cartridge bolts with coarse thread units though, otherwise pretty easy.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Fuze [+]
Thanks for your input!
I am changing my suspension at the moment and will consider all aspects. 
When it is dialed in, wow.

Looking to get where you have arrived at.
Check out RMR Suspensions in Abbotsford. They did my forks.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Check out RMR Suspensions in Abbotsford. They did my forks.

RMR did the suspension on my DR650, it was money well spent.  Not too far of a drive thankfully.  =)

The Andriani cartridges look very tempting...I like settings to twiddle with.  Being able to change compression is something that may justify the cost...I will ponder this one and maybe make into a winter project.  I procrastinated this one a bit too long to make a reality this summer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:38:34 PM by Fuze »
if you want something done right, do it again.

Online oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 01:46:51 AM »
Please post how much all of you spent on the mods/rebuilds.

Recent Topics