Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My TEx was hit! Need advice for next bike...  (Read 967 times)

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 1190 Adventure....
Re: My TEx was hit! Need advice for next bike...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by daygr [+]
Hehe. Do you find it to be any more uncomfortable for long trips?

I do really like my heated Corbin seat, and they don't make a heated seat for the KTM... but it's definitely a luxury I don't need hehe.

Initially I wasn't sure and was considering the comfort seat but after a 600 mile day with only petrol stops I'm broken in  :745:
Had the same with the Exp but I'm sure there's just a bit of self adjustment or breaking in with most bikes.

There are some complaints of the seat getting too hot from the rear exhaust header but I've not had that problem in tropical Scotland.....

Offline craig

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 04:11:38 AM »
Yes, you probably won't miss the seat heater with an under the seat exhaust. Having owned a Ducati 999, I can attest to the efficiency of an underseat exhaust system warming your, ummm, "bits."

Also, do the math on buying your "salvage" Triumph. It might be the cheapest option, especially if you're mechanically inclined and can do most of the work yourself. The labour will likely be the biggest cost and I am of the opinion that taking apart a motorcycle and putting it back together again is a soulful experience and you'll feel more connected with the bike in the end. But that's not an option for everyone.

Don't forget to take into account long term service costs. And warranties. As someone who just invested in a 2012 Explorer, I'm delighted that Triumph is giving a second owner of a 5 year old motorcycle the head swap at no cost. I have no idea if KTM has a similar customer care policy. Maybe they do, but check the forums to know for sure. Customer service is a big deal.

Offline isb

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
Glad you're OK, and the bars did their job!
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline daygr

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Belmont, MA
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by craig [+]
Yes, you probably won't miss the seat heater with an under the seat exhaust. Having owned a Ducati 999, I can attest to the efficiency of an underseat exhaust system warming your, ummm, "bits."

Also, do the math on buying your "salvage" Triumph. It might be the cheapest option, especially if you're mechanically inclined and can do most of the work yourself. The labour will likely be the biggest cost and I am of the opinion that taking apart a motorcycle and putting it back together again is a soulful experience and you'll feel more connected with the bike in the end. But that's not an option for everyone.

Don't forget to take into account long term service costs. And warranties. As someone who just invested in a 2012 Explorer, I'm delighted that Triumph is giving a second owner of a 5 year old motorcycle the head swap at no cost. I have no idea if KTM has a similar customer care policy. Maybe they do, but check the forums to know for sure. Customer service is a big deal.

This is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Yes, I'm mechanically inclined, and am moving to a house with a real garage at the end of the month, so I could have a space to have a bike completely apart... I'll get some more info, thanks!

Yeah, Triumph is definitely doing right by people with the Tex, which definitely inspires confidence. At this point I'm waiting to hear how much insurance will give me before making any decisions, but man am I itching to ride.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
Depends what you really "need", personally I'd go for the XR and save a whole bundle of money and pick the accessories I actually wanted, especially if you've already got luggage and seat to transfer over.

Pretty sure the XR has cruise control, but wouldn't really care, I've got it on my 2015 and apart from the dealers showing me how it works none of the buttons have ever been pressed  :016:

The bigger issues are surely whether you want the "modes" and semi-active suspension, the suspension would have its appeal for when I take a pillion, but it's only occaisional use, so is it worth it ?

If the prices were closer together and I wanted all the toys, then the XRx would be worth considering, but not my idea of a bargain  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline daygr

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Belmont, MA
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Depends what you really "need", personally I'd go for the XR and save a whole bundle of money and pick the accessories I actually wanted, especially if you've already got luggage and seat to transfer over.

Pretty sure the XR has cruise control, but wouldn't really care, I've got it on my 2015 and apart from the dealers showing me how it works none of the buttons have ever been pressed  :016:

The bigger issues are surely whether you want the "modes" and semi-active suspension, the suspension would have its appeal for when I take a pillion, but it's only occaisional use, so is it worth it ?

If the prices were closer together and I wanted all the toys, then the XRx would be worth considering, but not my idea of a bargain  :028:

After a few days of sleeping on it, this has been my take, too. I've moved my focus more into the used market and have located a number of really nice looking 1190Rs and Texes that are all between 6 and 10 grand cheaper than the new XRx. Now it's going to come down to which bike is around first when I get my insurance check haha.

I also thought about the electronic suspension and realized that I don't really want it. I've been manually adjusting my suspension for 15 years and while I certainly see the convenience factor, I also see more electronics parts that can fail and a more complicated system that isn't better in terms of performance, just in terms of convenience.

Recent Topics

nonskid