Author Topic: What do you think what caused crash in this video?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Re: What do you think what caused crash in this video?
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:05:23 PM
At 26:44, the point where the rear tire contacts the road kind of goes out of focus.  And the road surface the bike is on is a different color than the road surface around it.  Sand? Deteriorated pavement?  Pavement damaged due to a fuel/oil/something else spilled? 

I don't see any evidence something touched down.  You can see space between the panniers and the road at the time I note. 

A puncture is also possible.  We just don't know enough, and video can be deceiving or falsely confirm held opinions.

I watched via YouTube, where I discovered there is a 73 second version showing just the accident.  UNFORTUNATELY, this version is marked as a "deadly" accident.

I hope that is deliberately false to hype the video for more clicks
Dick63

Offline cooperman1955

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Saffron Walden
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 04:21:20 PM
I agree, rear tyre lost grip & rider panicked.
He wasn't leaning over very much, unless maybe his stand came loose.
The road there looked dirty.
He should have immediately pulled in clutch, shut throttle and rolled on to stability; then slowed to a stop for a change of underwear!
I think the camera rider got a bit close at times.
I thought he was going to pile into the back of the 1st rider!
AKA "Geoff"

Biker Happiness is .... a full tank, empty bladder and a clear visor!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 12:05:30 AM
*Originally Posted by cooperman1955 [+]
I agree, rear tyre lost grip & rider panicked.
He wasn't leaning over very much, unless maybe his stand came loose.
The road there looked dirty.
He should have immediately pulled in clutch, shut throttle and rolled on to stability; then slowed to a stop for a change of underwear!
I think the camera rider got a bit close at times.
I thought he was going to pile into the back of the 1st rider!
  Same here, was not comfortable several times when the trailing rider closed the gap too much.  Don't think he touch down hard parts, best guess is there was some loose material just near the center line.  Hard to see this stuff happen.
2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 12:20:08 PM
It was his excessive speed for the given conditions and his own ability, the cause of most crashes. For those that put it down to poor road surface or dust it's still his fault for not observing that very hazard which should be expected on any road anywhere at anytime. There was no tyre blowout and if he had a slow puncture he was not in tune with his bike to feel a deflation and at a slower speed might of recovered or at least avoided the total mess afterwards.

Offline Icy

• Explorer God
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 04:45:56 PM
His rear slid for a split second due to something on the road which caused loss of traction. I'm going to guess either sand or some disturbance on the road. From there on he did everything wrong to make it worse - his bad riding technique caused the crash. A seasoned rider would've simply kept going even with the rear slide.

Instead this rider:
- Immediately chopped gas (big, big mistake - instead, feather the clutch and maintain speed)
- From the looks of it also hit the brakes (worse, worse, worse)
- His one foot is down dragging (what on earth?!?)

Because of loss of speed he could no longer maintain the curve and from there on his "survival instincts" took on and he started looking exactly where he should not be.

In the end, that's exactly why I watch motorcycle crash videos on YouTube, to learn from other people's mistakes so that I don't repeat them.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 07:23:57 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
It was his excessive speed for the given conditions and his own ability, the cause of most crashes. For those that put it down to poor road surface or dust it's still his fault for not observing that very hazard which should be expected on any road anywhere at anytime. There was no tyre blowout and if he had a slow puncture he was not in tune with his bike to feel a deflation and at a slower speed might of recovered or at least avoided the total mess afterwards.

:0461:

He didn't seem to be going crazy fast or leaning that much and yet still managed to look incredibly uncomfortable with his awkward body posture and cornering technique in those bends. Either that or he was compensating for an issue with his bike and trying to ride through it, not usually the best policy. Even so, I think he was going faster than he was really happy with, panicked and trod on the rear brake then got seriously out of shape. I think the guy on the bike behinds was probably a bit of a distraction too.

One good thing, luckily he didn't go straight off the road to the right when it first started to go Pete Tong.... that concrete telegraph pole would have seriously ruined his day :012:

Online mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 11:42:15 AM
Hard to watch.  His very awkward body position (shoulder/pelvis askew) indicates a rider not really up to the skill levels required to ride such a fast and heavy bike.  The rear step-out looks to me to have been caused by dust, on that part of the road where you'd expect to find dust.  From that moment, a highly skilled rider would have very quickly but gently eased off the gas and made a precise correction on the bars to catch that oversteer - easy to say, difficult to execute -  but this poor bloke panics and becomes a passenger.  I hope he was ok - at least he has a pal strong enough to pick up a 1400cc bike for him . .
Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:45:13 AM by mcchoc

Online Chippy4467

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 12:21:09 PM
Hard to watch.  His very awkward body position (shoulder/pelvis askew) indicates a rider not really up to the skill levels required to ride such a fast and heavy bike.  The rear step-out looks to me to have been caused by dust, on that part of the road where you'd expect to find dust.  From that moment, a highly skilled rider would have very quickly but gently eased off the gas and made a precise correction on the bars to catch that oversteer - easy to say, difficult to execute -  but this poor bloke panics and becomes a passenger.  I hope he was ok - at least he has a pal strong enough to pick up a 1400cc bike for him . .
Agree - he certainly wasn't going fast for that road but he was not riding particularly well
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Online ExplorerMP

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC 1200
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 04:48:17 PM
Someone is getting a lot of views on his youtube channel :071:

Online NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 08:11:59 AM
If you go back to the start of the corner there is a faint dark line which follows through the bend, roughly on the line of the rider. This could be either a diesel or oil spill from another vehicle causing the rear to lose grip & step out, causing the loss of control. Could be ?
Talking bollocks since 1965...