Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 Explorer XRX test ride  (Read 683 times)

Offline 2102 regit

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger Explor
  • City / Town: Lake Havasu City, Az
2017 Explorer XRX test ride
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:28:50 AM »
I did a test ride today on a '17 XRX ( Blue ) and I must say I was impressed. Big improvement over my '14 TEX in suspension and wind protection and loved the Brembo brakes. My only concern was the clutch feel, nothing happened until the clutch was all the way out. The bike shifted perfectly but it was a little difficult getting the bike moving from a stop. Is this normal or perhaps the clutch fluid needs to be bled?

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
Re: 2017 Explorer XRX test ride
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »
My 2017 XCA is the same, I don't really like the clutch like that but I think it is the way they are.

Offline Frosties

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRX
  • City / Town: Great Dunmow
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:49:50 AM »
Same for me. But you do get used to it, doesn't take long.

Offline Foxes

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XCX Low
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »
Just brought the XCX, and also found the clutch like that, but being hydraulic it cannot be altered, so will take a while to adjust to it, more concerned with hill starts with this clutch.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
Have never really found the clutch to be an issue on my XRX-Low, did have to alter the reach of the lever (as per handbook) which helped bring the lever nearer, subsequently decided to fit dog leg levers, which have improved the lever operation for me further (had them on all my bikes though, as I like the operation and feel of dog leg levers and feel they give you a better range of adjustment over standard). Clutch also did take about 600 miles to settle in as well.

More I found the issue of getting the clutch bite right against the throttle opening, as previously have been used to cabled throttles, and the one on the Tex is much more precise - and wireless! Now some 2000 miles on, I've got a better feel for it, and have no issues pulling away etc.

So for me it was getting the clutch bite right against the throttle opening, given this is my first "wireless" throttle

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:30:36 AM by Hawkeye »

Offline ChrisN

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger1200XCa
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »
This issuer really bothered me at first but you do get used to it.
The lever is adjustable so you can create the effect of the bite position being nearer to the bar, although it's still at the end of its travel.
The only time have an issue now is when I take out an 800 loan bike and I regularly stall it  :086:
my Explorer XCx now lives in Tenerife

Offline tailscookie

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: triumph rocket 111
  • City / Town: birmingham
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »
i had a brand new 250 miles loan top spec explorer last week,i found the gearbox awfull,the box felt as if the oil was like trecal,the shifts were all hard ? when i gave it them back they said it was a new box and there all like it.
if i had just purchased one i would not be a happy bunny.
apart from the box the rest of the bike was a great improvment on my old 14 plate xc,
ps i wouldent have one though. :431:

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by tailscookie [+]
i had a brand new 250 miles loan top spec explorer last week,i found the gearbox awfull,the box felt as if the oil was like trecal,the shifts were all hard ? when i gave it them back they said it was a new box and there all like it.
if i had just purchased one i would not be a happy bunny.
apart from the box the rest of the bike was a great improvment on my old 14 plate xc,
ps i wouldent have one though. :431:

In fairness my 2012 was similar when it was new. However with time it loosened out nicely. It is actually quite a decent gearchange now. I think it took close to 5/6000kms though.

Recent Topics