Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I'm somewhat miffed  (Read 1602 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
I'm somewhat miffed
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »
Some weeks back I discovered that the black paint on my OEM foglights is peeling off badly and I'll need to paint them.   :110:

Today I was washing the bike and found that it's peeling off the bottom of the engine casing at the front as well, both outside edges. There's already a chunk of bare metal casing showing on one side.

Anyone else suffering from this, is it common ? If so what's the best way to treat/paint it as i don't want to pull the engine out for a repaint if it spreads.

The bike's less than 3 years old, never goes off-road, and has only done 22,000 miles.

I'm less than pleased.  :151:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
Re: I'm somewhat miffed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:04:29 AM »
Sounds like its down to the trillion tons of salt the UK put on the roads!

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
But I've barely used it this winter though as I've been too busy.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »
Sadly with modern road salting this happens with most bikes if precautions are not taken. My practice has always been to at least rinse the bike in water after a winter ride and then run it for a short distance to dry it. After that I spray the motor with a light coating of silicone. To date with almost 50,000kms it is still fairly pristine.

However this does not sort out your problem. Personally, I would not be too fussed if the patches of bare metal were not too obvious. I would clean them off and treat with something like AFC50 or the like. Then dry it off and apply a coating of black range polish. That can be obtained still in hardware shops I think. After that it is just maintenance.

The other option is to apply some high heat paint with a small brush after cleaning the area. I have previously used black boot polish on worn black cylinder head paint, to good effect. It can smoke a little though on initial start up and that may not be to everyone's liking.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:06:21 AM by Griff »

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
Yes I think some painting is required but the issue to me is the way it's peeling off, where does it stop.  :187: It seem like a type of plastic coating and so comes of in little strips. It's hard very little winter use and was washed regularly in cold water to clear any possible salt it may have picked up.

It's actually had less winter use than my previous bikes and they never suffered like this. Very disappointing really.  :021:

Offline Yellerbelly

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Berkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
:084: I'd be heading for the nearest Triumph dealer to vent my spleen. 
Nick

I admire high achievers, talented indviduals and successful teamwork. I maintain balance by supporting Sc*nthorpe United FC

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
An email to Triumph customer services is called for to get their thoughts I think.

Offline fastdaddy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »
I veneted my spleen at Triumph re the terrible finish of my explorer and they were nor interested and basically fobbed me off with their replies. I will post all my emails at some point as they make for interesting reading.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
But I've barely used it this winter though as I've been too busy.
All it takes is once. I once rode my ST1300 on a salted road (last ride of the season) and forgot to hose it off before I put the bike away for the winter. Come spring, the entire undercarriage was rusty and the aluminium oil pan was corroded.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
yep i am with the Captain - ride all year round on my 2012 but anal about rinsing it down - got no paint stripping - the odd bolt has had a furring and the brake pipe hose clip on the fork and the centre stand but everything ok considering   - keeping it now as to change was a lot !!!! off on 1500 mile round trip tomorrow
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Recent Topics

nonskid