Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Finally got rid of the Sun (aka Schuberth E1 review)  (Read 914 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Finally got rid of the Sun (aka Schuberth E1 review)
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
I know this can sound like provocation to you all rainy Brits and accept my apologies for that first ;-)

Where I live, I commute everyday with the Sun right into my eyes (cause I'm heading East in the morning then West in the evening). The internal sun visor in my Schuberths (R1, then S2) does a really good job at dimming it, but (maybe am I getting old) I found myself constantly riding with eyes semi closed.
Then, I noticed that putting my hand just above my eyes (like it was a cap) reduced the problem to almost nothing. So started my long search for the perfect beaked helmet.

After having read countless reports about tens of models (from low end to high end), I took my birthday as an excuse to finally order a Schuberth E1 (€540.00, which is a lot of cash, but riding 20,000 km/year I thought it wasn't completely crazy). I chose to stay with Schuberth after having tried many other (less expensive) helmets and having found every one of them either cheap (riding my head in Schubs for years really spoiled me), extremely noisy or ineffective as far as the beak goes.

After two weeks now I can report my findings to those interested.

Pros:
- The beak is extremely effective. It can be adjusted to 3 positions. I use the lowest one on normal commuting and I can now ride eyes wide open! This was the main objective and it is fulfilled. And thanks to the cruise control, I can even change the setting while riding (when the road ahead is close to deserted, obviously). The design is very well thought, as you can use all the helmet parts (flip up, main screen, etc.) in a normal fashion.
- The silence inside is impressive, whatever the speed. Coming from an S2 (which is not exactly the noisiest full face around), I'm still baffled by so much silence. And the best part is that there absolutely no feeling of being disconnect from the world around. BUT, this with everything closed (screen and lower vents). As soon as you let air in, there is a proportional amount of noise.
- The quality of the liners is absolutely faultless. Even comfier than my S2 (which was old, I confess).
- The the sun visor lever is light and fast. My S2's was firmer (to the point that it was sometimes annoying).
- After always having had full face helms, my first experience with a flip-up is satisfying. I won't ride with the chinbar open ever (you never know when you'll be put down by some phoning cager), but as soon as I come to a stop it's really delightful to breathe and cool down in a simple gesture. However, I can't lock it back with one hand. I need both to perform this action properly.
- The ventilation is MUCH more effective than the S2's. I like the new foam filtered lower front one (à la off road).

Cons (there are some and I stilll don't know if I'll be able to live with it):
- As with any Schuberth, the latch is implanted rearward (I believe the design is part of their patented anti roll off system). I actually had to adjust it to the maximum slack to get it locked with 2 clicks and not being strangled. I consider this problem solved.
- The first rides were harmful to my jaw! As soon as the chin piece is locked down, there is a perceptible pressure on both sides of my jaw (whereas I'm no Richard Kiel by any means). It was to the point that my lower teeth hurted after a mere 15 min riding! Now the problem vanished, probably thanks to the chin pads having settled down.
- I'm still having a point on the very top of my head that becomes painful after a random amount of time. I sometimes have to push the helmet upward to get relief. Problem NOT solved for now (maybe an additional pad would do the trick?).
- The beak, while being extremely effective and convenient, does vibrate a lot. This is very annoying at first, but you ultimately get used to it. However, and as you might have guessed already, if it vibrates it is because turbulences hit it. And the beak then transfers said turbulences directly to the helmet. So this helmet can be viewed as the ultimate buffeting detection tool. I thought my air setting was relatively clean, but I was so dead wrong! This is annoying after 30 min. Since temps here didn't went lower than 30°C for two weeks, I took the Summer setting (standard screen on lowest position) and it made things easier, but I fear that when the Winter comes, I'll have to find a way to reduce buffeting or the helmet will be almost unrideable. Problem NOT solved for now.

All in all, I ALMOST found the 5 legs sheep (sorry, French idiom litterally translated into English ;-) I was looking for, but this is not a complete win. I love many important things about this helmet, but I'm still not sure it's a keeper for me.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: Finally got rid of the Sun (aka Schuberth E1 review)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
Great review, thanks!  I just replaced my Shoei Qwest with the new SR-RF, aka Ryd in Europe.  Since I'm recuperating from a crash won't know how effective it is for silence, my highest priority.  Have not been able to find a Schuberth that fits my head unfortunately, either too loose or tight.  Sure do like the idea of the beak though.  I put a solid vinyl strip across the top of my visor so when needed I can tip my head down just enough to block the sun.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
Hope your recuperation will be fast and painless!

As for the beak, it's something I couldn't do without now (though your cheap trick is smart!). In addition to the internal sun visor, my eyes now are perfectly at rest ;-)

As for the rest, the silence really is impressive, as is the comfort, but the buffeting still hardly tolerable.

Hope you'll enjoy your new Shoei!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Hope your recuperation will be fast and painless!

As for the beak, it's something I couldn't do without now (though your cheap trick is smart!). In addition to the internal sun visor, my eyes now are perfectly at rest ;-)

As for the rest, the silence really is impressive, as is the comfort, but the buffeting still hardly tolerable.

Hope you'll enjoy your new Shoei!
  Thanks!  Cast is off the ankle and no longer need the back brace, so hoping for a ride next week.  I miss the visor from my dirt riding days, don't know why they can't make a street helmet with one, maybe turbulence.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »
Turbulence is a factor, but I believe that fashion clearly is the culprit here.

There are some good street/road beaked offers now.

Offline ExRider

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Nittedal
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
Hi Nik

I had the same problem with the sun in my eyes as well. I have a fairly new C3pro helmet and could not justify to my self that I need a new E1. I ended up modifying the C3pro with E1 visormechanism, visor and beak.
I soon found that it vibrated a lot, so i added some Sugru (https://sugru.com)  to the part of the beak that is close to the helmet ventilaton. The beak is now touching the  ventilaton mechanism and as a result i got rid of a lot of the vibration. It is not perfect  but much better.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
Yeah C3 and E1 are basically the same hardware.
Still, that's a very clever mod you did!
 :152:

Recent Topics

nonskid