Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wind noise and buffering  (Read 2727 times)

Offline adey

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: swindon
Re: Wind noise and buffering
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
I had the same problem with my 2014 tex and wear a gt helmet , I ended up wth at batzen brackets ,std screen with a power bronze bikini screen under it and power bronze winglets got it to an accceptable level ,but since changing to the xrt had no problems at all but that's quite an expensive fix !

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
for 4 years I convinced myself that I had very little or no buffeting and wondered what all the fuss was about. I bought a batzen bracket and it did very little for me and adjusting the screen was a fiddle and I was worried about losing those special nuts he uses in the back.
Then I tried the madstad winglets on their own with the standard screen and it stopped a bit of the buffeting but not enough.
Finally I spent just over £200 and bought the MRA adventure screen licenced by madstad and sold by HPS and I'm now a convert. It really has completely got rid of all the buffeting

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,15050.0.html
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Nojalllen

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Widnes
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
So in total you have , the winglets, Mra screen and the screen adjuster too ??

Offline Mountain Goat

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
I have owned the 2013 and currently own a 2015.  Between the two I have close to 35K miles.  I tried the Triumph touring screen and it was better but not enough.  I was about to give up and decided to buy a Madstad screen and adjustment mount to see if I could resolve the problem.  I asked Madstad to give me the adjustment bracket like seen on there site.  If you don't ask for it they will send the one that uses the Triumph adjusters that come with the bike.  If you get the other adjuster you will be much happier. 

On my trip to Glacier last year my wife and I spent many hours on the bike and the Triumph Touring screen just did not do the job.  I put the Madstad on the bike and my wife said she was quite pleased with it (as am I).  When it comes to wind noise it is really personal.  I personally do not like a lot of noise.  Since I use custom ear plugs and the Madstad I have been very happy.  It does take a little time to find the best position...when you find it though...ahhhhh.    Put the smile back into my riding.  Finally!!!  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:56:54 PM by Mountain Goat »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by paulhull [+]
Givi Airflow screen. I am 6'2" and this works well for me.
I have this screen and love it. You can adjust the height of the screen from the saddle in 10 seconds. You can also ride with the top half removed in the summer.

I added an MRA Xscreen blade to this setup for perfect airflow. I also have the Madstad deflectors which deflect a lot of the air off my shoulders and reduces wind noise across the bottom of the helmet.

I can now ride with my visor open at pretty much any speed.

Tip: tape a couple of bits of wool to the top edge of your windshield to help with tuning. When you get the wool standing straight up, you have perfect airflow.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:36:52 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Nojalllen

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Widnes
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Like that idea, I'll give that ago, thanks

Offline Sherlock999

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Leigh
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 11:22:23 PM »
The Givi airflow screen and powerbronze wingless completely transformed my 2012 Tex.
Completely cured the buffeting issue.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sherlock999 [+]
The Givi airflow screen and powerbronze wingless completely transformed my 2012 Tex.
Completely cured the buffeting issue.

I had the same set up but unfortunately it was not the magic bullet for me although an improvement.
I'm 1.83 cm by the way.

Offline teef.au

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nojalllen [+]
I've recently purchased a 2013 TEX and suffering with quite a large amount of wind noise and buffering. I'm 6"1 and and wear a shoei GT air helmet. ....

... and yet I'm 6'1" and wear a GT Air and have no problem whatsoever? I wonder why different people have different experiences? I don't mean to take anything away from your drama, just I don't have the same problem at all with almost identical configuration.

Very odd

Maybe it's because I had a V-Strom once upon a time? Now there's a machine with a buffeting problem!
2015 Explorer
2005 CBR1100XX
2013 Trophy SE
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 04:56:02 AM »
Other factors can make a difference. I have a Nolan N103 helmet and an N104. The N103 is rock solid with the visor up and the N104 buffets on the same bike. Likewise, seat height, position and bar risers can also be variables in the equation.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid