Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New helmet...  (Read 1258 times)

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
New helmet...
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
I've been mulling over getting a new lid for a while and finally got around to it today. I'd narrowed it down to several choices so thought I'd do a little write up on here of my current/previous lid, the choices and what made me discount some and settle on the new one.

The 'old' one: I've had an Arai Tour X4 for nearly two years now and although it's fairly comfy and I love the looks, I've had a few niggles with it for a while...

1. The lid fits ok, but I've found that on longer journeys it hurts like hell on my forehead after about 60-80 minutes. It presses on so hard that I'm left with two red marks each side of my forehead and unfortunately this was obviously only found out after use, rather than when trying it on.
2. It's also a fairly noisy helmet for me. In its defence, I should say I never expected it to be super quiet and have also added a Sena 10c actioncam/intercom which likely doesn't help in that respect.
3. Changing the visor is a pain in the arse. It involves removing two screws & backing plates each side, along with the peak. There is no 'quick release' mechanism as with other Arai & Shoei lids or the Schuberth E1.

So, on to the choices which are all flip-up/modular helmets:

1. Caberg Modus (£234.99)
2. Schuberth C3 Basic (£339.99)
3. Schuberth C3 Pro (£469.99)
4. Schuberth E1 (£549.99)

Now, I'm usually a size 'M' which in UK currency generally comes out at 57-58cm, although Schuberth sizing puts 'M' at 56-57. Given my head actually measures bang on 57, I find that lids normally get a bit 'baggy' over time as they bed in. Given an 'S' (usually 55-56) is way too small, so I was really looking forward to trying the Schuberth.

I tried the Caberg first, which if I'm honest was an outsider. A mate loves them so I thought I'd try it as, if it fitted right it could possibly save me a wad of cash.
Not only did it not fit snugly in 'M' (I tried S too which was hilariously small) but it felt rough and the internal sun visor came down on my nose! Scratch the Caberg then...

On to the C3 & C3 Pro. I really had high hopes for these but have to say that I felt a bit underwhelmed. Neither felt particularly high quality build wise given the price tags, with wobbly visors and, in the case of the C3 Pro, there seemed to be some really hard bits inside the chin-strap padding. Not noticeable at first but they really dug into both sides of my jaw once the flip front was in the 'down' position. Not good and I was disappointed as the rest of the C3 Pro fit me really well.

The Schuberth E1 was at the other end of my 'outsider' scale, in that I was sure I'd love it if it fit right as I really like the looks, but I hadn't really planned on spending that much. I tried it on and bloody hell; SERIOUSLY comfy. Like my face was in a big marshmallow. It felt well made too. No visor wobble, no digging in from the strap or anything else and very slick vents/visor/inner tinted visor/flip mech.

So, how come I didn't buy that either? Well, there was a dark horse in the corner that I'd not considered prior to going to the shop.

The Shoei Neotec.

I've had Shoei full-face lids in the past so know they usually fit me well and are good quality. The fit on the 57-58 Neotec felt as good as the 56-57 E1, but the build quality just felt that little bit better, from the flip mech to the strap to the visor. It has a gorgeous interior and the visor shuts with a nice firm click which says to me "quiet & watertight" (as can be). Add to those details that the Neotec has no peak so should be quieter than a peaked lid, plus it was fifty quid cheaper and the decision was made.

Now, a penny shy of £500 aint cheap by any stretch and it's the most I've spent on a helmet so I've high hopes for it long term. I certainly hadn't planned spending that much today, even with the C3 Pro & E1 on the list, I'd kinda hoped I'd be choosing between the Caberg & C3 Basic...

I guess when all's said and done, the advice of "try several on & go for best fit first, then best quality you can afford" is actually good advice after all. I've done mail order in the past but a proper visit today has been well worth the 3 hour round trip along with an hour in the shop trying on.

Bike helmets are one of the most personal of personal choices. I hope my experience with the above lids is of help to someone but no advice from others can compare to actually trying the things on yourself.

All the best  :018:

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
Re: New helmet...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
If your after a flip up helmet try the Nolan N104.

I've done thousands of miles in one and find it really comfortable.
It has an elliptical hinge so closes tight to the helmet when open and you can ride no problem with it up.
Mines due for replacement and I will be buying another.
Very reasonably priced around £260-290.

Offline Ozlaw

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
I've gone from a Shoei GT Air and was looking at flip front for my new helmet.

I wear the Shoei Neotec at work, and although it's a good helmet, I find the shell quite big (I wear a size medium) build quality is good but I thought I'd look at Schuberth C3 pro and E1.

I loved the fit, much better than the shoei in my opinion as it feels plusher, but thought the lack of top rear vents would compromise the airflow I had enjoyed on my Shoei pair.

Lots of research later and I now own a Touratech Aventuro Mod. It's essentially the E1, but has Touratechs twists to include, amongst other things, a top rear vent!

Worn for 2500 miles around he south of France recently and it was fantastic! So comfy, so much ventilation and great design colour. It's expensive, but then so is the E1. The peak is removable and I mostly use mine without.

Well worth a look/research if you are looking for a new flip front

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
I will also be going for a new Shoei Neotec shortly. I had its predecessor and used it along side a Schuberth C3. One had an intercom and the other not.  There was direct comparison and even then I felt the Shoei was a better helmet. Its age eventually mitigated against it and I had to move to the Schuberth full time. Its an ok helmet but I will be glad to see the back of it.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza13 [+]
If your after a flip up helmet try the Nolan N104.

I've done thousands of miles in one and find it really comfortable.
It has an elliptical hinge so closes tight to the helmet when open and you can ride no problem with it up.
Mines due for replacement and I will be buying another.
Very reasonably priced around £260-290.

Another fan of the N104. The Nolan is one of the quietest & most comfy modular helmets I've ever owned. Like any other helmet, a lot depends on the shape of your head and how a particular brand or model fits...
Jon

Offline Bigml

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer xc
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »
I agree that a lot depends on the shape of your head and how a brand fits.

I recently went to buy a new helmet. Having used a Caberg for the last five years, Caberg was on the shortlist along with the shark evoline and the shoei neotec. In my own mind I was fairly sure that I would come away with the shoei.
The shop didn't have a Caberg in the right size, the shark just felt plasticky and cheap and I never put it on my head. Secretly pleased that only left shoei. I tried a large but it didn't feel quite right so I went up a size, still no joy. Left to my own devices I would probably still have picked one or other of the shoei helmets.
Having swopped from one size to the other several times, the shop suggested I look at the schuberth c3 pro. This helmet had never been on the radar or even looked at before. Somewhat reluctantly I tried it on, it just felt right immediately and five minutes later I'm on my way out with my new schuberth.
My conclusion is that you either have schuberth shaped head OR a shoei shaped head  :187:

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:00:55 AM »
I wear a Neotec and love it, but having an oval melon there is some minor pressure on my forehead. Air flow is fantastic with the vents open, riding in the winter is far better with the chin curtain that's easy to install sealing the helmet nicely. Plus this is the first helmet I've ever ridden with that had the flip down sun shade, bet tech ever installed in a helmet.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents, but I bought the Neotec on the day.

It was a close run thing against the E1 and to be honest the upper padding in the E1 actually felt very slightly nicer than the Shoei, however taking all points into consideration the Shoei felt slightly better in build quality and equal in comfort. I also preferred the position of the internal sun visor lever/switch and the position/operation of the flip front switch, which felt more natural/easier to use to me, although I'm sure the one on the E1 is something users just get used to.

As I said in the first post, the C3 Pro was ruled out because of the chin straps digging into my jaw (that was just in the shop, so it'd be bloody awful on a long ride) even though the rest of the fit was nice. Oddly, the C3 Basic felt 'baggy' fit wise even though it was the same size! So that ruled that one out too.

Honestly, I'd actually gone there hoping that the C3 would win out as it was quite a bit cheaper than the Shoei & E1 but alas it just didn't feel right for me.

I could quite happily have bought either the E1 or the Neotec (so I must have a Shoei AND Schuberth head) to be honest; they were that close in fit and quality. That said, I didn't really want another peaked lid and the Shoei was £50 less. That's why I chose it.

What is also odd is that the M sized Schuberth E1 is 56-57 and M sized Shoei Neotec is 57-58, yet both felt pretty much equal comfort wise... Go figure that one!  :084:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:09:31 PM by BarnsleyBob »

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 12:19:23 AM »
Bit of a moot point now that you've bought the Neotec, but one other thing to bear in mind is whether the lining is removable for cleaning. On the Neotec it is. I've had to do so twice after riding in Greece / the Adriatic coast in summer. Just back from a trip where it hit 40C, and my helmet smelled rank. As soon as I got back to the Alps, I washed out the skull cap in a hotel washbasin and it dried overnight.

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
Little update on this one...

I'm really glad that the liner is removable/interchangeable because the first (substantial) ride in the new lid revealed that the fit wasn't quite right after all. I found that the usual problem of the 57-58 ending up slightly too 'baggy' for me reared its head again and the helmet felt like it was sitting much too low on my forehead once on the bike and on the move. Unfortunately this is something that's happened before with my Arai lid, although not with my previous Shoei (same 57-58) which was perfect, and something which doesn't seem to become apparent until you actually ride in it.

There is a 'fix' in the way of a replacement skull cap part which, if I remember correctly, come in 5, 9 & 13mm thicknesses. The standard skull cap liner is one of the smaller sizes so I ordered a 13mm one which I'm happy to say has completely sorted the issue. Just over 500 miles later and the lid fits perfectly with the chin bar in both positions up/down and also both at a standstill and riding the bike.

Quite why the big names (Shoei, Arai etc.) don't offer these different thickness liners as an option when you buy the helmet I don't know, other than to make an extra £40 selling replacements to the likes of me. It surely can't be beyond them to offer it as an option and it'd ensure perfect fit at the time of buying the bloody thing in the shop...

Of course, I might've avoided this by buying the 56-57 sized Schuberth but I'm still happy with the rest of the Neotec and still think it feels slightly better built overall. All's well that ends well, sort of!  :008:

Recent Topics