Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Photos Gallery  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
New Photos Gallery
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »
New Photos Gallery

The forum now has a brand new image hosting and Photos Gallery.    :152:

The new Gallery far exceeds the older gallery in features and is much more user friendly. Upload limit per image is now a mighty 5MB.

It is fast and secure, with images backup up instantly to secure cloud servers.  Images are delivered by CDN edge servers around the world so they also load pretty quickly wherever you are viewing them from. Links are also automatically generated for use on the forum.

We were going to introduce the new Gallery anyway at some point but it's been brought forward due to the recent Photobucket farce.

As many of you know Photobucket has recently ceased to allow third party hosting of it's images on websites such as forums. Consequently, many of those images are now dead and replaced by an image like this:

If you haven't heard about all this then you can read some background info here, here, and here

Unless you sign up for a new $399 Photobucket account then you can no longer post those images into forum posts. Some existing paid PB accounts have a reprieve until next year but they too will also eventually expire.

Because of this we've now implemented the new Photos Gallery as it also doubles as an image hosting solution. It far exceeds PB in many respects, and is quick and secure. The facility is for members only, you can store your pics and if required embed them easily into forum posts.

The new Photos Gallery does require you to create a seperate account. Hopefully this will change in the future but we wanted to get it up and running ASAP.

I know some people who use Photobucket are still seeing their images in posts, however we do cache images for up to a month so it's quite possible that will change and they will disappear from posts. We're trying to save as many of those images as possible before they are no longer available. So although some posts have the infamous image above we do in fact have a copy, it's just going to be a while before we can update them.

Consequently, we kindly ask that you cease to use Photobucket on the forum with immediate effect.

If you wish to use the Photos Gallery area then you are welcome to do so. It will ensure that photos in posts are never lost forever for future members who become TeX converts.

If you wish to use another external image hosting company then please be aware then others are likely to follow the Photobucket lead. I'm currently making a list of ones to avoid and it does not look good.

Importantly, posting images into posts from free providers runs the risk that they will disappear in the future as companies switch to paid solutions.

The Old Gallery

Images are still in the old gallery if existing album owners need to access them.

You can find it HERE

There is also a permanent link on the main forum page near the bottom.

Many of the members albums and images in the Old Gallery have already been migrated to the new Gallery. Those members have already been setup with a new Gallery profile and we'll be sending your details out soon.

We encourage members to use the new system as the old gallery will eventually be pensioned off. So if any member with an album in the older gallery wants their images migrated across then we could probably do that for you. Just drop me a pm.   :038:

========

You can check out the new Photos Gallery here:

https://photos.tiger-explorer.com/

FAQ:   How to Upload Images to the Photos Gallery

:031:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: New Photos Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »
Thanks Admin. I've been struggling to figure out what to do now that PB is all messed up. I think I'll wait for a while to use it until you get it to the point we don't need to set up a spare account. It sounds great!  :028:
Jon

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »
I think I'll wait for a while to use it until you get it to the point we don't need to set up a spare account.

Converging two systems is very complicated, I really wouldn't wait for that, it could be a long way off yet  :038:

Don't forget that you can use it so that all your login details are the same anyway, so it's really no big deal. Just login with the "Keep me logged in" option ticked or set you browser to remember the login.

:821:

Offline 1984Rider

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Martinsburg
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:38:12 AM »
Thanks for this improvement and keeping up the great site.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives" - Hedley Lamarr

Recent Topics