Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake fluid change with ABS  (Read 2863 times)

Offline 1157jonboy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Brake fluid change with ABS
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
Ok well I think I'd rather wait till the software becomes available and do it properly, I don't want to get halfway through the job and suddenly realise there's air in the unit!

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
Marks little manual says if air gets into the ABS unit you'll need the software to purge it. Otherwise just bleed as normal. Old fluid probably stays in the ABS but that doesn't seem like it would be a disaster

I followed Mark's manual when I changed the fluid on my Explorer (2013 '63 plate model) in May this year. I did it in the normal way with no special tools and the braking has been fine.

To be honest I didn't even realise there might be an issue or special tool required...  :034:

Offline 1157jonboy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
BarnsleyBob, i am going to chance it at the weekend, the fluid is going a dark yellow now so I want it out! I will give it a go this weekend if I get time. What's the worse that can happen..........!!

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
Marks little manual says if air gets into the ABS unit you'll need the software to purge it. Otherwise just bleed as normal. Old fluid probably stays in the ABS but that doesn't seem like it would be a disaster

I followed Mark's manual when I changed the fluid on my Explorer (2013 '63 plate model) in May this year. I did it in the normal way with no special tools and the braking has been fine.

To be honest I didn't even realise there might be an issue or special tool required...

This is exactly right. You can change the fluid in the conventional way by topping up the master cylinder and bleeding it out of each caliper in turn. Eventually you'll pump enough fluid through to get pretty much all the old fluid out without using the dealertool to purge the ABS unit. There's only a little in the ABS unit, and although the dealertool unit will run the ABS pump allowing you to mix the old and new fluid and pump that last little bit out, you don't need to worry about that last little bit of old fluid. Just do the front and back circuits separately and keep going until you see a change in the colour of the brake fluid you're pumping out showing you that all the old fluid is out.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 01:40:17 AM »
Here's a question I've wondered about.  If you bleed both front and rear brake lines the old fashioned way at the nipples on the calipers as the OP suggests, then go out and use the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS, won't that pump some of the new fluid through the ABS unit?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:41:51 AM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
Yes in theory. Activating the ABS will move fluid around the ABS unit, so rebleeding the brakes afterwards will get out much of the old fluid that had remained in the ABS unit.

But....I've always regarded ABS (and traction control) as a safety net, not something to be provoked.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by MarksMotorCycleParts [+]
Yes in theory. Activating the ABS will move fluid around the ABS unit, so rebleeding the brakes afterwards will get out much of the old fluid that had remained in the ABS unit.

But....I've always regarded ABS (and traction control) as a safety net, not something to be provoked.
Well, I can see that point of view, and generally I avoid needing to brake hard enough to activate the ABS, but in this case, finding a clean, straight, quiet stretch of pavement, and going through some hard stops would not only pump some fresh fluid into the ABS pump, it gives the rider a chance to practice a few hard stops, which most riders rarely practice.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
Thanks to  T800XC and his updated wonder TigerTool v2.5 
I wanted to update this old thread.

Armed with TigerTool 2.5 and a helper, the front and rear brake circuits were purged with new DOT4 fluid.

-Both circuits were fully flushed with new fluid before using the ABS Bleed function of TigerTool
-I activated the ABS pump about 8 times and bled the circuit after each cycle.

Everything worked, no drama, no surprises, just a few drips to clean up.

Thanks again T800XC.
 :152:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:22:37 PM by Fuze »

Offline onthemayside

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Honda Varadero
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
I bought one of these for changing the fluid in my linked brakes. Just keep the fluid in the reservoir topped up and it draws out all the old, darker fluid 5 minute 1 person job, no need for pumping brakes or removing secondary master cylinders.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Sealey-VS020-Car-Van-1-4-BSP-Air-Brake-Clutch-Fluid-Bleeder-Bleeding-Kit/370507558402?epid=5017011676&hash=item5643f8ae02:g:x6EAAOSwd4tT~vd1

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
I have exactly the same 'tool' and swapped the seals in my rear master cylinder last weekend. So the whole thing was on the bench. Put back together, bled normally, no problems. Just done 1500 miles to Germany and back this week and the rear brake as never been so good. First time I've ever managed to get the ABS to kick in. Though it must have been broken.

Recent Topics

nonskid