Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: balancing/ride-on/wobble  (Read 665 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
balancing/ride-on/wobble
« on: July 27, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
I returned from a 2600 mile, two-up, motorcycle camping trip with my son.  We rode the entire west coast from SoCal to washington state camping most of the way.  Before I left I spooned on two 705s and shelved my Mitas 07s.  I used a balancer and balanced the front tire.  I use "Ride-on" sealer/balancer in my tires and have never balanced my tires prior.  never had an issue at slow or high speeds.  Well the entire trip I had a minor bar shake at all speeds.  Not noticeable when holding the bars but is when I let go.  I just figured I had a bad front tire.

After I got back I decided to strip off the weights and see if problem continued.  Once the weights were off the shake was completely gone both solo riding and two-up.  Now I used over an ounce of weights when I balanced the front since the tire was really off.  I balanced a friend's tire before he went on his long trip and he said all issues were gone from his bike.

My theory (highly scientific since I am a self appointed genius), Is you can't do both.  The Ride-on self levels inside the tire and finds imperfections in thickness balancing the tire.  add weights the self leveling makes the tire unbalanced again since the imperfections technically are removed by tire weights. 

Any thoughts?
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: balancing/ride-on/wobble
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
What kind of balancer do you use? Maybe you didn't get the wheel quite centered on the balancer.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:33:02 PM »
Harbor freight.  I checked and re-checked when I balanced. Spun the rod different positions. I believe I would have been fine with just weights or just ride-on

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm not quite sure of the physics of the thing, but it seems like you are right, that the one would override the other somehow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:43:08 AM »
According to all the claims and demonstrations, the ride on should balance the wheel even if you did not do a correct static balance. 

I agree with Captains' suggestion that the static may have not been true to the axle centre line when you did the balance. 
If you used so much weight that the ride on could not compensate, then you could have the vibration you mention.

If it is good w/o the weights, it is good.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
Is it not the case that the Ride On is a viscous fluid and as such it will work best when the tire is spinning at speed and up to temperature. As such will it not just gather in the lowest point of the tube in a static wheel balancing situation and completely throw out the balancing procedure for you, or am I totally missing the point ?

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »
You don't balance with ride on in the tire. It is put in after.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:39:54 AM »
Ok. I misunderstood your first comment.

Recent Topics

nonskid