Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2018 Tiger 1200  (Read 30498 times)

tiger885 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cheesecutter

• Explorer Member
Re: New 2018 Tiger 1200
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
MCN don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. They have an "exclusive" picture of a new bike this week - but it's actually a render of what they think it will look like, so exclusive to them as they've made it up.

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
Got to agree with the last couple of comments.

From the picture in MCN there's no changes I can see apart from different engine bars.
So called new headlights and front end look the same, impossible to see dash and exhaust.
They must either have eyes like a hawk or other pics they are not showing.

I think the Gen2 may be getting a makeover but lets wait and see.  :084:

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
Well I think it could be genuine, the picture is Triumph's answer to making the Tex lighter, lose a few badges and the suchlike, must save loads of weight  :745: I mean, if they are dropping the Explorer name as well - think how much that saves in weight, 1/3rd of the badge - gone! :159:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Well I think it could be genuine, the picture is Triumph's answer to making the Tex lighter, lose a few badges and the suchlike, must save loads of weight  :745: I mean, if they are dropping the Explorer name as well - think how much that saves in weight, 1/3rd of the badge - gone! :159:
This ^ plus the helium-filled tires.  :008:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Exployer 1200
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2017, 01:58:12 AM »
i thought 2017 was a new bike or a major makeover?  i don't know my explorer history guys

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
i thought 2017 was a new bike or a major makeover?  i don't know my explorer history guys

Correct the Gen-2 was released early 2016 and was the MY2017 build.
Assuming there is a new model, I think it’s a Gen-2 with a few minor styling changes and updates to freshen it and keep it current - which reading between the lines of what was said in the MCN article would appear to be the case with an updated nose area, LED Headlight, redesigned exhaust and new clocks.

No different to what other manufacturers do in refreshing their line-up every few years.
As for weight loss rumours? Well IMO that would take a major redevelopment so unless they have redesigned / fitted a complete new power unit personally I can’t see there would be much, if any, change in the TEX weight.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Correct the Gen-2 was released early 2016 and was the MY2017 build.
Assuming there is a new model, I think it’s a Gen-2 with a few minor styling changes and updates to freshen it and keep it current - which reading between the lines of what was said in the MCN article would appear to be the case with an updated nose area, LED Headlight, redesigned exhaust and new clocks.

No different to what other manufacturers do in refreshing their line-up every few years.
As for weight loss rumours? Well IMO that would take a major redevelopment so unless they have redesigned / fitted a complete new power unit personally I can’t see there would be much, if any, change in the TEX weight.

I think many of the predicted changes (like LED lights) could have been introduced when the Gen 2 first came out but were possibly deliberately held back so there could be an easy low cost revamp for the next "Gen 3".

I guess there won't be a genuinely new bike to replace the Tex until Triumph have got their money's worth out of the current bike. They'd probably like to recoup (or at least commercially justify) the development costs of the 1215 engine & shaft drive -  which now the Trophy has been discontinued rests solely with the Tex.

As for weight reduction.......About half way thru' the life of the Gen 1 there was a customer survey from T about what people would like from a new bike. They'd obviously listened to criticisms as some of the questions were clearly about weight reduction and one proposal was to do away with the shaft drive. If that had been done they might be able to compete with KTM & Ducati MS but instead they kept the shaft to compete with the BMW GS. The shaft does bring a weight penalty and power loss compared to a chain but the survey showed it is a crucial selling point.

So what's next? If the Tex with shaft continues maybe a "sports bike on stilts" to compete with Ducati, BMW XR, KTM GT etc. As the forthcoming update of the Tiger 800 seems to be still using the same engine, maybe in a year or two there'll be a new lightweight multipurpose bike using a derivative/development of the 765 Moto 2 race engine.....a variation on the Street Triple with adventure touring capabilities?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
As the forthcoming update of the Tiger 800 seems to be still using the same engine, maybe in a year or two there'll be a new lightweight multipurpose bike using a derivative/development of the 765 Moto 2 race engine.....a variation on the Street Triple with adventure touring capabilities?
That would be interesting. Much like what Japanese companies do with their detuned, older sport bike motors. Take proven, reliable engines and retune them for better torque curves and fuel mileage.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
Year on year updates tend to be limited to a change of available colours, so always buy white, then nobody can guess how old your bike is  :008:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Rooster

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Year on year updates tend to be limited to a change of available colours, so always buy white, then nobody can guess how old your bike is  :008:

Unless they look at the reg.   :008:
Don't worry about things you can't change.

Recent Topics