Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch woes  (Read 565 times)

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Banbury
Clutch woes
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
Hi All,

Rode my 2012 Tex home from work (30 miles) and did briefly notice a hot clutch smell at one point whilst I was in town traffic, but gear changes were as normal.  Went to use the bike next day and there was very little effort required to pull the clutch lever because the clutch wasn't working! Fluid level looked a little low (annoying as it was dealer serviced just a month ago!), so I have topped up and tried to bleed the system, but after some initial fluid being pumped out further lever pumping has no effect.  There's no obvious fluid leaks anywhere.

Could I really have that massive an amount of air in the system or have I missed a trick?

P.S. 17000 miles on the clocks..

Offline wessie

• Ex Member
  • Bike: 2017 XCX
  • City / Town: CHELTENHAM
Re: Clutch woes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
Sounds like a blown seal - happened to my friend on his 1200 Trophy (same engine) on holiday in France in June this year. His bike had 33,000 miles when the seal blew.

We did the same as you, topped up the fluid, bled the system but all we did was pump more DOT4 into the engine sump.

The fix was simple once the part was sourced but there was something of a fiasco due to inept service from Carole Nash's breakdown recovery contractor.

Your engine oil is going to contaminated with brake fluid so wise to change that when fixing the bike. 

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
OK, to be totally egotistical and triumphant (See what I did there!), I shall answer my own thread. 

I have had another go at bleeding the clutch and this time I was somewhat more vigorous in my pumping of the lever and managed to expel the air in the system.  I think (hope) that the level in the master cylinder was just low enough to occasionally let air into the system.  Anyway, I shall keep a close eye on the fluid level in case there is a blown or leaking seal.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rodders [+]
OK, to be totally egotistical and triumphant (See what I did there!), I shall answer my own thread. 

I have had another go at bleeding the clutch and this time I was somewhat more vigorous in my pumping of the lever and managed to expel the air in the system.  I think (hope) that the level in the master cylinder was just low enough to occasionally let air into the system.  Anyway, I shall keep a close eye on the fluid level in case there is a blown or leaking seal.
The fluid had to go somewhere. Your bike only has 17k miles on it. Unless you have been really, really hard on your clutch, you have a blown seal. I would not ride the bike until you investigate further.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:57:21 AM »

Offline SteveTalaga

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 TEx XC
  • City / Town: Manila
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 05:17:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by TPadden [+]
Chimps
  :745:
1-Pot: Kawasaki KLR650  2-Pots: Aprilia ETV1000  3-Pots: Triumph 1200XC  4-Pots: Kawasaki ZX12R
If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
That's true Captain.  36 hours after bleeding the clutch it is not working again, so there's obviously a fairly serious leak somewhere.  It's not ending up on the garage floor, so it must be into the engine..  B**ger!

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:41 PM »
I've not had reason to open up the TEX clutch, but on early Triumphs like my Daytona 1200, there is a small air chamber between the slave cylinder and the engine, with seals on both sides and a drain hole at the bottom to protect against precisely this problem.

Recent Topics

nonskid