Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 2 XRT Lowering  (Read 5679 times)

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
Gen 2 XRT Lowering
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me whether changing the suspension link to lower an XRT will upset the electronic suspension? Reason I ask is that I asked my local Triumph dealer service manager and he wasn't sure himself if it might cause problems (aside from the warranty issue). Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: Gen 2 XRT Lowering
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
I don't think it is that easy, there is a vertical iron rod from the swing arm activating the electronic suspension.
Probably Triumph made a shorter version specially for the low XRT  :084:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
I don't think it is that easy, there is a vertical iron rod from the swing arm activating the electronic suspension.
Probably Triumph made a shorter version specially for the low XRT  :084:

Errr - there is no low XRT only a Low XRX.

I think someone on here has lowered a Gen-2 but I can't remember who - as you say there is a vertical rod, so not sure how that would fit into the equation.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »
Thank you for both replies. I guess I'll keep it like it is to be on the safe side. I've just put on the "low" heated seat but frankly so far I can't tell much if any difference just sitting on it in the garage. My only other solution is setting the "Rider" mode TSAS to Off-Road which lowers the suspension enough for paddling around flat footed. Cheers.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »
I did put 20mm Lust lowering links on my 2017 XCX with no adverse effects on the suspension. If anything I felt it handled slightly better. (suppose it lowers the centre of gravity slightly)
Took them off in the end as they made my legs a bit to cramped on a long journey.

Offline Edd

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xrx
  • City / Town: Blackburn
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
I have a 20mm lust kit on my 17 xrx, fits just fine and rides just fine. Done 4500 miles in the last 6 weeks and would've thought any thing adverse would have shown up by now.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I might give it a go as I've just fitted a so called "lowered" Triumph heated seat and frankly can tell no difference whats so ever, so far at least.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by tiger885 [+]
Thanks everyone for your advice. I might give it a go as I've just fitted a so called "lowered" Triumph heated seat and frankly can tell no difference whats so ever, so far at least.

Strangely I did the opposite - fitted a "normal" heated seat to my XRX-Low to replace the standard Low seat - and I couldn't tell the difference either! I even took them off and put them side by side.

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
Hi
Heres my thoughts on the matter. When you have your XRT on the center stand and fit lowering links the swing arm is moved/lifted upwards, which in turn pushes the connecting rod for the electric suspension up. When the bike is back on the ground the computer thinks there is a heavy weight on the back bike because of the position of the suspension potentiometer, and the computer will wind on spring preload to try compensate for the extra weight. For the suspension to work properly the silver connecting rod would need to be altered in length, which would take a wee bit of figuring out, or the suspensions computer would need to be recalibrated (dont know if thats possible). Thats the reason I bought the XRX low instead of the XRT.
Buzz

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
Thanks Buzz, what you say makes sense to me. I think the biggest problem is actually the shape of the seat. It's too wide at the front in my view and spreads one's legs too wide. Perhaps reshaping the seat padding will be the solution for me eventually.

Recent Topics