Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 2 XRT Lowering  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Edd

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xrx
  • City / Town: Blackburn
Re: Gen 2 XRT Lowering
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
Buzz makes a valid point but it doesn't match up to my experience.
 I've got 20mm lower links and dropped the forks by the same. I weigh 13 stone and my wife around 9 and we've done a combination of two up fully loaded touring and an equivalent amount of solo across a variety of terrain from twisty trough of bowland and alpine passes as well as long motorway trips. The suspension appears to be adjusting correctly with comfort being soft and sport being hard.
I suspect that given the length of the swingarm, the change in height on the potentiometer rod is minimal versus the change in height at the wheel. Or, perhaps the potentiometer is self analysing in some way and detects its position at startup? Logically, it should be capable of adjusting itself to compensate for wear and tear or bedding in.
It's an interesting question though. If folks don't mind waiting a few days, I'll swop the links back and take some measurements of sag etc for comparison as I think it might be really useful to know exactly what happens.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Buzz [+]
Hi
Heres my thoughts on the matter. When you have your XRT on the center stand and fit lowering links the swing arm is moved/lifted upwards, which in turn pushes the connecting rod for the electric suspension up. When the bike is back on the ground the computer thinks there is a heavy weight on the back bike because of the position of the suspension potentiometer, and the computer will wind on spring preload to try compensate for the extra weight. For the suspension to work properly the silver connecting rod would need to be altered in length, which would take a wee bit of figuring out, or the suspensions computer would need to be recalibrated (dont know if thats possible). Thats the reason I bought the XRX low instead of the XRT.
Buzz

:460:
Yesterday I was at my dealer to make an appointment for my 16.000 km (10.000 mile) service and I asked him about the above as I'm also interested in lowering my Tex. He came with the same observation, his point was that by lowering the suspension without changing the rod or recalibrating the suspension computer it would eventually fail because it could never reach its zero position like when its totally unloaded as on the mainstand. However he will try and get some info from big T.

Cheers, Theo 
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
Of course one option may be to fit the rod from the XRX-Low with a 20mm extension?? My XRX-Low (from memory) is 52mm lower than the standard XRX/XRT, that includes the lowered seat. In practice (and having measured mine against a standard XRX/XRT, I think this breaks down into 12mm for a lower seat and 40mm for the shorter suspension (as fitted as standard to the Low).

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
I've always found the easiest way to lower my bikes is to stick the wife on the back.   :001:

Offline Foxes

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XCX Low
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »
When my wife was on the back of the tiger 1050 i could put my feet flat on the ground, you do not get this withe the GEN 2, When i ordered my bike i ordered a standard bike, but the low arrived, when i Sat on Both i realised that the low with the seat in its top position was perfect. And am so happy that i got the Low.

So why did all you guys on this subject not get the Low version GEN2, was it because it only comes in the Mid Range bike XCX?

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Foxes [+]
When my wife was on the back of the tiger 1050 i could put my feet flat on the ground, you do not get this withe the GEN 2, When i ordered my bike i ordered a standard bike, but the low arrived, when i Sat on Both i realised that the low with the seat in its top position was perfect. And am so happy that i got the Low.

So why did all you guys on this subject not get the Low version GEN2, was it because it only comes in the Mid Range bike XCX?

:0461:  Good question Foxes (its why I bought the XRX-Low as well  :821:)

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
My preference was a lower XCA in RED and with casted wheels AND a Mainstand, but this was all not possible :003: so I added all the extras to my XRT.
Oh and I could do without the pannier rack  :004:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
I just added a mainstand to my Low as well

Offline kennyd

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Xcx low
  • City / Town: Forfar
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
Interesting topic, I lowered my Xcx low by 15mm not a lot ,but that was due to the fact that I had the lowering links from my last Exp, before I fitted them I checked on world of Triumph and could only find one part no for the Droplink Position Sensor Rod.

Offline silverfish

• Explorer Junior
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
http://www.metisse.de/tieferlegungen/tieferlegungen/tieferlegung-triumph-tiger-explorer-1200-xr-xrx-xrt.html
Fitted one of these kits with no adverse effects. I liked it because it took the linkage into account.
"I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life only to arrive safely at death.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,

DAMN! What a Ride!"

Recent Topics