Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Givi Toolbox added  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: New Givi Toolbox added
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Came across this during my searches. OK more money and it's in the US however, you can actually see the value in this item and I like the layout. No indication that they make one for Tiggas and that one is shaped the wrong way around to swap it over to the left side. But nonetheless, interesting.

http://www.advdesigns.com/rurelotoforb.html

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by DaveW65 [+]
Yes it does, straightforward installation as per the provided instructions.
It only becomes a little tricky if you have Triumph's version of the racks, where some minor mods are required; hence the reason for my original post.

Cheers

Thanks!!!

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 04:59:45 PM »
Well mine arrived today from Bikerbitz. Very nice etc etc but still never worth £115. I'll post some fitting pics tomorrow. I have the Givi Cam rack so this should go together like strawberries and cheese. Sorry I mean cream. Obviously.

Incredibly, my pannier key fits! What's the chances of that then?

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
OK so I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I ventured out in the garage. Sorry about the state of the workshop and the filth on the bike, but you see I ride mine rather than stand and admire it gleaming in the light ..

Best to put the frame together loosely on the bench then offer it up tightening the pannier bottom lug bolts first to centralise it then work around nipping everything else up.

Once you've done that you need to decide which way up you want the box. I went with the tapered side down just so that it was sure to be clear of the swingarm. But note - you have to drill the case so you only get one chance at this!

Here the problems started. You'll see why.

So in summary. Not much for a lot of money. Nice gimmick, but unless you are loaded and stupid (errm  :001:?) I wouldn't bother. The capacity is pathetic too. I got the puncture kit and bulbs in there with a few tie wraps. That's it. There's no point having the central divider unless you want to keep two bread rolls separate. I managed to put more under the seat.

Offline DaveW65

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Fair summary, thanks for sharing.

Agree very expensive per unit volume, but my motivation was I wanted somewhere to store my puncture kit and other loose odds and sods that I was fed up bouncing around my top box. For that I got what I wanted. Clearly I'm more loaded than I should be to justify it!  :152: (But then again, as the missus is at pains to tell me, everything about biking is expensive; if only she knew what I really spent  :745: )

I also binned the centre divider as a waste of space.

FWIW, all the tool boxes out there are quite limited in space (and pricey). There are plenty for the big German bruisers, but not a lot of choice I could find for the Tex, sadly, so took the compromise.

Cheers

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
I meant that in good humour of course.

Another annoying factor is that because you can only put the lid on with the lock at the top, it means that water is more likely to get into the lock mechanism via the locking tongue. With some reorganisation I think I could pack a bit more in. perhaps take the bulbs out of the box and bubble wrap them? OK it's handy like I said to have things permanently on the bike like puncture kit and bulbs but it would have been nice to get a bit more in. I am reminded of the time I was in the Cubs and you had to get as many things into a matchbox as possible. I think I just filled mine with sand ...

This would have been a worthy challenge. I don't think the swingarm has any chance of getting that high, so tapering off the box is another real loss of space.

Offline DaveW65

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
I meant that in good humour of course.

Of course  :0461: I simply responded in similar good humour. Just friendly patter among bikers...

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
I'm used to expensive - I drive a Landcruiser. I built it for overland expedition trips.

"I'd like a knife, fork and spoon for my kit box please"

"Certainly, that'll be £3.99"

"Ooh hang on they're nice what are they?"

"Ahh that's expedition cutlery Sir"

"How much are they?"

"£24.99 Sir or two sets for £60"

"Hmm, what's the difference?"

I told you Sir, it's expedition cutlery"

"Right I'll take 2 sets then, any chance of any discount?"

"Not a chance Sir"

"Perfect, actually do you have any more in stock...."

Offline DaveW65

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »
It seems we have a lot in common... Have the Disco version of the same experiences - been there done it, have a drawers of T-shirts to prove it  :821:

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
Ahh but are they expedition T shirts ....

Recent Topics