Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Klim Latitude suit - thoughts?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
Klim Latitude suit - thoughts?
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:35 AM »
I've been shopping around for a waterproof outfit with some added crash protection.  I've had an Olympus riding jacket for a couple of years, and I really like it, but it's a three piece system, shell, water resistant jacket, and thermal jacket.  I can't complain about it given I only paid $300 for it a couple years ago.  I bought the matching pants, but they were enormous on me (I was even a fatty then...) so I never used them.  In fact, they still have the tags on them!

So, I decided to buy the Klim Latitude jacket & pants.  My gosh, Klim, really?  Do you really think you've got gold sewn into your products?  Holy cow, that stuff is expensive.  Everyone says, "Oh, you'll never outwear it."  If that's true, how does Klim remain in business?  Buy once and never buy again?

Anyway, off topic.  I know the Latitude is an older system, but it was everything I wanted at a price I could afford after selling the kidney.  I couldn't justify the higher cost and much more technical Klim Badlands system.  That rig is running right about $1600.  I got the Latitude for $1100.  Is it a good system?  Complaints?

(I can't believe I just typed $1100 when referencing clothes.   :005: )
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:29:48 AM by FL_Explorer »
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline wessie

• Ex Member
  • Bike: 2017 XCX
  • City / Town: CHELTENHAM
Re: Klim Latitude suit - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
Klim has a great reputation and the equivalent of 850 quid for a suit does not sound outrageous to me.

Clothing is a very personal thing. I am a fan of Rukka as I know it has the right fit for me and the sizing across the range is consistent. I buy other brands in supposedly the same size and they are often bigger or smaller.

With my commuting jacket wearing after 8 years of use and my touring trousers starting to leak I too have bought a new 2 piece suit for "best". I kept an eye on 2 massive German outlets for close out deals so got a Rukka jacket & trousers for 450 quid, just under $600. The current models would have cost about the same as you paid. Like you, I'm not paying the 1000 quid beng asked for their top jacket.

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Well I've used the pants & jacket twice now and I must say I'm impressed. The jacket runs a little high and cuts into my neck but not too terrible. The venting works well enough but it's still hot when I'm riding in 90F weather. Not had a chance to ride in the rain yet although I'm 100% confident the Gore TEx will work beautifully. Coupled with my Forma Adventure boots, I'm ready for anything!
Keith

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
Hello Keith, I hope you're keeping well?

I bought my Klim Latitude suit last October and likewise, I'd not normally have been able to 'justify' the full price but I got an awesome 'black Friday' deal here in the UK...

So far I've done three trips away in it (two in the UK and one over to France) along with lots of day/shorter trips. They have covered pretty much the full spectrum of weather conditions with the exception of snow.

I'm seriously impressed & happy with it in all respects. The vents work really well in hot weather (it was scorchio in France!) and all the more so because there's no need for a waterproof liner inside the suit. I've found it to be completely watertight even in thunder storm type downpours and I actually like the fact that I can build my own base layers rather than having a built in thermal liner.

Comfort wise it's spot on for me. It seems to fit well everywhere with no excessively baggy/tight areas and there is scope for some adjustability. The built in armour is top quality stuff and also seems to sit at just the right points in the suit unlike some which can move around quite a bit.

All in all, highly recommended and not a single gripe or complaint. The old saying that 'you get what you pay for' certainly applies in this case and I wish I'd invested in one years ago.  :018:

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 xrt
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
i have the pants...........love them

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »
My local dealer had a difference of opinions with Klim and so decided to stop carrying their line.  The stuff on the floor was discounted 50% to clear them out, so bought the Badlands Pro jacket and pants.  Could not get the jacket to work, just weird sizing, and the collar was poorly designed (IMHO) so returned it but still have the pants.  Love the fact I don't have to put on a separate waterproof outer or inner liners.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Simian73

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »
I don't have the latitude but got the Overland suit, it's pretty awesome to be honest. If it's hot then just a base layer underneath and open all the vents, it works a treat. If it's wet then zip everything up and be confident that you'll stay dry (4 days in downpours in Scotland proved that!). The only downside is a bit baggy legs but guess this is if you wear knee braces when off-roading. Wouldn't hesitate getting Klim again

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:34:18 AM »
Ive used the suit enough now to have a fully formed opinion. Here are my thoughts:

In the heat of Florida, the suit is exceptionally hot. Even with the vents all open.

The neck is cut far too high and it routinely cuts into my throat. The solution is ride with the neck flap open. When it does rain, closing the flap is easy enough and I can endure the strangulation for the duration of the rain.

The long tail of the jacket is kinda silly. I’d prefer a straight waist. However, if I stand up on the pegs and pull the jacket down tight over my butt, I can sit on the tail to help keep the jacket from riding up.

The Gore Tex does a very good job at doing its job!  I rode in the rain a few times on a recent trip and was always dry. It’s very nice not having to stop to put on rain gear.

The armor is surprisingly comfortable and doesn’t shift around to any noticeable degree. The cordura material breaks in nicely after several hundred miles or a few days of continuous wear.

I found the vent zippers, particularly in the jacket, near impossible to close while wearing the gear. I’m going to try some type of lubricant in them to see if that helps because otherwise I have to take off the jacket to close the vents. I have to get off the bike to close the pant vents but that’s not a big deal. The zipper locations on the pants make it hard to manipulate while on the bike anyway. I don’t fault Klim on the pant vent zippers.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the gear. I’d recommend and would buy again if I had to. The Forma Adventure boots were also quite impressive. The pant legs cinch down nicely over the tall boots and kept my feet 100% dry. If I lived in a cooler climate, I’d wear this gear all the time. I’m never going to do that in the hot, humid summer months of Florida though. My armored mesh jacket of another brand will still use and I’ll likely utilize my jeans during the hot bits.
Keith

Offline smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
For my two penneth worth - I looked at klim and rukka but ended up with richa jacket and pants - and a pair of boots and change compared to the rukka.  My mate bought the rukka and gets wet and uncomfortable before I do

Recent Topics

nonskid