Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: To serve & protect  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
To serve & protect
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:53:41 AM »
Please keep our riding buddy, Fl_Explorer in your thoughts & prayers this weekend, boys & girls. He'll be pulling long shifts on patrol as Hurricane Irma potentially hits his home state of Florida. Projected models are now showing this huge storm to center itself right up & through the center of the state. Stay safe Keith...
Jon

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: To serve & protect
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Our French oversea territories already paid a heavy toll to this hurricane.
Our hopes that our fellows American neighbors (FL_Explorer to begin with) won't suffer the same!

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
Jon - Well written, and thank you for putting that out.

Keith - Godspeed

Dick
Dick63

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »
Best of luck indeed to all folks in its path.

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
 :460:   Stay safe everyone.   
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »
Can't be nice having to wait for the storm and the devastation that comes with it not knowing how things will be once it has passed.

Keep safe all

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »
Jon, thank you for the kind thoughts and for posting this to the members.  I haven't been on the forum much in the past week as you can imagine, so this is the first I'm seeing it.  As you and anyone else on Facebook already know, I endured the storm with no serious issues.  Hurricane Irma was downgraded from a category 5 to a category 2 by the time it reached me in central Florida, just outside Tampa.  She came through in the middle of the night and left behind a wide wake of fallen trees and downed power lines.  I lost power at my house late Sunday evening, sometime around 9 PM EST and didn't get it back on until Thursday afternoon while I was at work.  I was on duty for seven days straight, from the Friday before the storm until the Thursday after.  Those were very long 14-15 hour days let me tell ya!  Maybe the worst part was only getting two showers in that stretch!  The second worst part was having to eat bagged tuna and protein bars every day until power was restored to grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations.

My wife was able to evacuate the area and went to stay with our daughter in Orlando.  Originally, the hurricane was supposed to go up the east coast of Florida, then it changed to the very middle of the state but finally settled on going right up the east coast.  Because of these changes in pattern, my daughter's location also lost power and suffered some very serious wind damage as well.  However, everyone came through without so much as a scratch!  Thank God for that, it could have been much worse.

We're coming up on a week now since Irma came through the area.  Things are finally starting to seem normal again.  Thanks to the hard work from lineman from Florida and all over the country coming to fix the downed power lines.  It's funny how upside down your life can seem when there is no electricity!  Not to mention, cell phone towers were largely useless without power, so I didn't always have great communication.

This was the first hurricane to severely impact the west central coast of Florida in over 100 years.  What I learned for the next time this happens is that you better buy bottled water and gasoline well in advance.  I mean, like 2 weeks early, if feasible.  When the southern part of Florida evacuates, the come up and buy every ounce of gas.  No exaggeration.  You couldn't buy gas anywhere starting on the Thursday before the storm came through.  The same thing for bottled water.  I was fortunate enough to find one Walmart who had received a couple of pallets of water on Thursday afternoon but they only allowed each person to buy 2 cases.  I took a case in the police cruiser and I gave a case to my wife.

Yesterday was my first day off so I spent it cleaning up the yard.  My house didn't sustain any damage, but several of our trees had branches snap off.  I've got about 80% of it cleaned up thus far and I'll have quite the burn pile when I'm done.  Thanks again for the post and thank you to all who kept us in your thoughts and prayers.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Master
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Glad you and yours are ok Keith.
My family and me were on holiday in 2004 and experienced hurricane Charlie. Whilst nowhere near the scale of Irma it was still an experience I wouldn't wish to repeat. What was so impressive was how the authorities/utilities/public services recovered so quickly. Even Mickey Mouse was on duty next day.
I'm an ex Royal Navy engineer; we occasionally exercise disaster relief so can relate to the 14 hour days and living off rat packs.......
Enjoy your well earned down time  :305: - as long as you don't accelerate too hard!

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Glad you came through it so well, Keith. Being without power that long really stinks, I know that from the other side of the spectrum. I did see a post on FB last night that one of the guys I trained on my crew was down in your neck of the woods restoring power.

Time to get back to life, right. Now to get that TEX repaired!
Jon

Offline theelepel

• Explorer Junior
  • City / Town: NIJMEGEN
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
Jon, thank you for the kind thoughts and for posting this to the members.  I haven't been on the forum much in the past week as you can imagine, so this is the first I'm seeing it.  As you and anyone else on Facebook already know, I endured the storm with no serious issues.  Hurricane Irma was downgraded from a category 5 to a category 2 by the time it reached me in central Florida, just outside Tampa.  She came through in the middle of the night and left behind a wide wake of fallen trees and downed power lines.  I lost power at my house late Sunday evening, sometime around 9 PM EST and didn't get it back on until Thursday afternoon while I was at work.  I was on duty for seven days straight, from the Friday before the storm until the Thursday after.  Those were very long 14-15 hour days let me tell ya!  Maybe the worst part was only getting two showers in that stretch!  The second worst part was having to eat bagged tuna and protein bars every day until power was restored to grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations.

My wife was able to evacuate the area and went to stay with our daughter in Orlando.  Originally, the hurricane was supposed to go up the east coast of Florida, then it changed to the very middle of the state but finally settled on going right up the east coast.  Because of these changes in pattern, my daughter's location also lost power and suffered some very serious wind damage as well.  However, everyone came through without so much as a scratch!  Thank God for that, it could have been much worse.

We're coming up on a week now since Irma came through the area.  Things are finally starting to seem normal again.  Thanks to the hard work from lineman from Florida and all over the country coming to fix the downed power lines.  It's funny how upside down your life can seem when there is no electricity!  Not to mention, cell phone towers were largely useless without power, so I didn't always have great communication.

This was the first hurricane to severely impact the west central coast of Florida in over 100 years.  What I learned for the next time this happens is that you better buy bottled water and gasoline well in advance.  I mean, like 2 weeks early, if feasible.  When the southern part of Florida evacuates, the come up and buy every ounce of gas.  No exaggeration.  You couldn't buy gas anywhere starting on the Thursday before the storm came through.  The same thing for bottled water.  I was fortunate enough to find one Walmart who had received a couple of pallets of water on Thursday afternoon but they only allowed each person to buy 2 cases.  I took a case in the police cruiser and I gave a case to my wife.

Yesterday was my first day off so I spent it cleaning up the yard.  My house didn't sustain any damage, but several of our trees had branches snap off.  I've got about 80% of it cleaned up thus far and I'll have quite the burn pile when I'm done.  Thanks again for the post and thank you to all who kept us in your thoughts and prayers.

Hi Keith,

Great to read this, i was on holiday(from the Netherlands) when irma hit with a 6 month old baby.... evacuated from the keys, then from Miami, went to Orlando, but the storm was planned for there... so we went to Tampa(Brandon) and there we took the hit....

Vacation we'll ruined indeed, no water supplies or gas starting from Wednesday evening. We survived from Friday till Tuesday on pringles and dr pepper haha. The one case water we managed to get from a very very nice man in Walmart was saved for the baby and her bottles. Had a lot of chats with the police officers that patrolled the surroundings of the motel we were staying in. Got some new found respect for the US law officers!

Stay safe! and perhaps we'll ever meet as were going back on the 10th of april for a retry holiday. If you have some nice tips for motorcycle dealers to visit while we're in Florida or other exiting stuff to do please let me know!

Recent Topics