Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anybody know this bike ?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline smalle10

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gl 1800
  • City / Town: Nyborg
Anybody know this bike ?
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Hey. I am in to buying a TEX. Do any know about this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-Explorer-Red-2012-12-Fsh-Abs-Cruise-Heated-Grips-All-Books-Keys-/332293046238?hash=item4d5e357fde:g:po8AAOSw0j9ZXObg

I looks great, but how can I find out if the ECU and Head has been done ?. Or should have been done ?

Thanks

Per from DK

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: Devon
Re: Anybody know this bike ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:29:20 PM »
You could just ask the seller. Ideally you need the VIN number to check otherwise.

From the photo of the dash it's due a service too as the service spanner is showing.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
You will have to ask a dealer and/or the seller. There was no recall on the head and ECU replacement, just a service bulletin, so the online lookup for recalls will not show these.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline scooby

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Red Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
I know some people like to be obsessive in cleaning their bike but that looks far too unused to be a 30000 mile bike, the seat doesn't even look as if its been sat on and the grips look unworn. I may be doing the previous owner an injustice but it looks to good to be true (usually means it isn't) but hey what do I know.   :027:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:16 PM »
Something just a bit off on this bike. Has it been repainted? I don't have a very good memory, but I don't remember red as an available color for the '12 models. If I remember correctly it may have first been available in the '14 models.

As far as finding out about recall work and head replacement, just have a Triumph dealer run the VIN and they can give you a readout of everything that has been done by a Triumph dealer on the bike. The VIN range for the head replacement went through # 602960 and the SB was 474. :028:

I just viewed the video on the listing & I agree with Scooby. This bike is really clean, I mean really clean. To the point that the rear grab handles look like the day it was manufactured, the side stand appears to have absolutely no paint worn off of it where your foot normally puts it down, and the center stand looks like a brand new one. Don't get me wrong , nothing wrong with a fresh paint job, just observing here...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:56:34 PM by Jon »
Jon

Online kwacka

• Explorer Pro
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
It certainly looks like the rear flanks of the tank have been resprayed, they have an 'orange peel' effect. If you look at the pictures closely you can see signs of the mileage, although it's been well valeted by the seller. If you get to view it you could get a better idea of history, maybe even get contact details of the previous owner.....if you ask nicely.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
Something just a bit off on this bike. Has it been repainted? I don't have a very good memory, but I don't remember red as an available color for the '12 models. If I remember correctly it may have first been available in the '14 models.
That's true, red was not an option in 2012. Just blue and grey in the base model here. Wonder if it is rebuilt status?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline scooby

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Red Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
Is it a ringer? check the VIN stamped on it, it hasn't been well valeted it is too clean all over, I don't believe anybody could bring a 5 year old 30000mile bike up like that by valet. and the RED is not original at '12 model.
 :087:

Offline GlennSAUK

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Balsall Common
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
Looks like a rebuild and repainted, the exhaust headers look brand new etc.  I would urge caution before you committed to anything. Just my 5 pence worth.....
Happy days, as the case may be...

Online Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
deffo not a stock colour.   2012's were nly available in Grey, Blue or Black.     My bike is same age with similar mileage and I am one of those obsessive cleaners.  Normally,  you could eat your dinner off my bike, it's so clean.   But that one lacks the signs of use you'd expect and can't hide.    The heel plates at foot pegs should show some marks as should the grab rails, the side stand and centre stand.   My header pipes are nowhere near as clean as that.   So I would agree with the guys above, it seems a bit too clean.   But only a dealer check or an HPI check will reveal the truth.   Looks a cracker tho.   
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Recent Topics

nonskid