Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Things to look out for on higher mileage Gen 1 Explorers  (Read 462 times)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Things to look out for on higher mileage Gen 1 Explorers
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I was checking bits and pieces on my bike today and I spotted a wear item that I had not considered before, albeit I should have. I believe it was mentioned just once when it failed on someone's bike, and it is the bottom joint of the tie rod that links the gear change lever to the gear selector shaft. In short there is a considerable amount of slop in it but I might just have gotten away with it by injecting some quick setting liquid grease in under the rubber . Eitherway I will have to keep an eye on it and replace if it gets any worse. I suggest checking it for play occasionally and getting some lube in under the rubber if necessary.

It then occurred to me that a thread would be useful for such items to be reported in one place as folks find them, hence this thread.

My endeavours today were initially to check the bottom shock eye on my Wilbers. It doesn't have a roller bearing like the OEM shock and it requires some grease occasionally. However the hollow shaft/pin that is inserted into the shock eye and connects it to the tie rods, has a tendency to rust. Water can get at this shaft in the two places where it is not sealed from the elements, and they are probably only a millimeter or so of space on each side of the eye. If the shaft rusts badly enough in these locations it can be a real nuisance to get out eventually. It needs to be pulled out of the tie rods and shock eye periodically and greased. This would also apply to the OEM shock. 

There is an item that I mentioned previously and is probably forgotten at this point. It is the rear brake pedal pivot. The bolt that forms this pivot can come loose. I previously found mine about to leave its location. I re tightened it with a thread locker. It also needs greasing periodically as indeed does the gear change lever pivot.   

We have all heard creaky hand levers from time to time and they also dry out and wear. No harm to pull them apart and clean and grease. If nothing else it makes a stiff clutch pull a little easier.

Summary then if items to check :-

Gear change tie rod bottom eye.

Shock bottom eye (clean and grease)

Brake lever pivot bolt (tighten and grease)

Hand lever pivots (grease)

Gear change pivot (grease)

I am hoping that others will add little gems that they have come across in the course of pampering their Gen 1 Explorers that have accumulated some mileage. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:38:56 PM by Griff »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Things to look out for - Hose clamps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
One thing that some of us have found is that the OEM radiator hose clamps, due to their design, start to allow some leakage of coolant at times. And tightening them up, may, in fact, make it worse.

I ended up changing out four of the most accessible hose clamps with standard stainless hose clamps to fix the issue.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Things to look out for on higher mileage Gen 1 Explorers
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
Check the silencer bracket on the frame for cracks as some bikes have had the weld fail.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
All great reminders for things to check. Thanks for starting this thread, Griff. :028:
Jon

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
All great reminders for things to check. Thanks for starting this thread, Griff. :028:
:028:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Atherstone
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
What a great idea for a post Griff - thank you.

I think this could become a great reference portal for us owners of the older marque....

Just out of interest - what mileage is yours at currently?

This would be another good indicator of when to start stripping things down and digging under the surface.

Thanks again for this idea !! 

:047:

Olly

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ollyreid [+]

Just out of interest - what mileage is yours at currently?

The mileage on mine is relatively low especially in comparison to some others where the mileage is at least double, and in one or two instances treble that. My mileage is 51,000kms. However I wouldn't just rely on that mileage to start looking. From memory the shock lower shaft was showing signs of rust at a very early mileage (19,000kms) when I fitted the Wilbers.   

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
The biggest thing to look out for?

Speed/radar traps. 

:305:  Well broken in high milage Tigers are FAST!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
To check: all the wires going down from the handlebars.
They are subjected to frequent moves and friction...

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
To check: all the wires going down from the handlebars.
They are subjected to frequent moves and friction...

Good idea, and the brake & clutch hoses, especially if they have been re-routed for bar risers.

Recent Topics