Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2013 Trophy Rim on 2013 Explorer  (Read 660 times)

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Pro
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
Re: 2013 Trophy Rim on 2013 Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stageleftblues [+]
Thanks, I just wanted to add if you're viewing this as a guest you are
missing the pictures that I have posted :305:

Er, if we were viewing as guests we wouldn't be allowed to post. You don't really need pictures to explain what you've done......

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stageleftblues [+]
I would like others who have done this to comment and would like to know if the new 3" front rim will fit on the first gen bike.
I would be awfully surprised if anyone else has tried this. To begin with, I don't know where you would find a Trophy rear wheel that is not attached to a Trophy. So few of those bikes were sold prior to its discontinuation. And I can't imagine anyone spending the money on a new wheel to try this.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stageleftblues

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 13 Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: INDIANAPOLIS
Re: 2013 Trophy Rim on 2013 Explorer - Ride Review
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
  :047:

Ok Here it is.

I pushed hard 1500 miles on this rim in 4 days which included 500 miles of aggressive mountain twisties.

The 190/55zr17 Dunlop performed very well no slipping. I would use a 180 faster turn in tire next time.

The offset is about 3/4 of an inch off, meaning middle of tire is un-centered.

My front pr4 had 7 to 8k and was near it's end of life. Tire wore faster on one side.

I did not run the washers I had put on the tire studs.

The back tire still appeared to be tracking in the middle but was slower on right hand turns.

I had to work hard in the tight corners but always felt that way on the stock 150/70zr17 also.

The best part of the Triumph Trophy rim was a better ride. It did not work against the front stock springs.

This would be a good setup for someone who does a lot of straight line riding.

I am leaning towards purchasing a tiger 800 for the aggressive mountain riding and keeping the explorer for touring.

I will update later with tire wear info.

Bryan  :169:

2013 Explorer - Dressed like XC - Givi Air-Flow Windshield - Givi Trekker 46L Top Case - Brooks AutoSports Panniers - HyperPro Rear Spring

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
I once bought a first gen Gold Wing that had an unintentional 1/2" offset of front wheel track from rear wheel (I think that it had been run into a soft ditch and the steering head was twisted). In addition to weird tire wire, it also had unpredictable handling issues at slow speeds and at highway speeds, meaning that it would drop into a turn to the left and fight a turn to the right. Going straight, it would wander at slow speeds and it was a pain in stop and crawl traffic because I was always fighting to keep it straight.

Good luck with yours.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid