Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing front Hella socket for USB  (Read 1504 times)

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Bike: TRex,Dyt'a12,CB250RS
  • City / Town: St Cleer
Re: Changing front Hella socket for USB
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
I thought you’d never ask!  :001:

As you’re probably aware, the Hella socket is the most robust, reliable and outdoor compatible electrical socket of its kind; I’m told that it was even fitted as a power take off in WW2 panzers!

In comparison, USB sockets are fragile and relatively short lived indoor connectors that are built for a completely different purpose. Ideally, get a Hella to cigarette lighter converter, with a short curly lead and plug a 2xUSB adapter in the end. Hold in place with carefully applied PVC tape. Dispose of and replace easily each time the USB connector dies  :028:  The Hella socket will never fail.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 2012
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
They are good but I didn't fancy the USB adaptor to be truthful. Good quality USB sockets are not so bad now especially if you get the marine ones. Cheap is as cheap does though. I guess that really USB is more about data transfer than it is about just providing a charge. It's using something really for the wrong purpose. But they are so common now. I have them integrated into my 240v wall sockets so I don't have to keep unplugging things like the kettle.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
Sorry should have explained the delay in asking. Just got home from a 500 mile round trip through Snowdonia and Anglesey.

Fablas it was, truly fablas. Not a bad road to be seen. it was 3.5 degrees as I pulled up on the drive. Brrrr. I was getting a bit stiff.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »
Ideally, get a Hella to cigarette lighter converter, with a short curly lead and plug a 2xUSB adapter in the end. Hold in place with carefully applied PVC tape.
don't even need to go that far - 90 degree USB to Hella adaptor fits perfectly without the additional bit of lead dangling around.  I have a bar bag for my phone and other bits  with short usb charge lead - works a treat and leaves the bike standard for when it  comes time to sell on
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
Bit late to this, but here's my addition.

I fitted a Hella plug to the end of the wire from my Oxford solar battery topper-upper (shouldn't call it a charger, really, as it won't recharge a flat battery).

The panel (about the size of an A4 page) is on the roof of the lock-up, angled South, with the cable fed under the corrugated roof and straight down to the bike.

It seems to work. Either that or the battery is very good and the immobiliser takes little current. Plenty of juice for my first ride in six weeks yesterday.

i do also have a Hella to USB adaptor for charging the phone in the tankbag. Just one more thing to lose/forget.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TigerEXP

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 15 Exp Wire Wheel
  • City / Town: Gold Coast
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
Late in on this thread I know, but didn't feel it necessary to start a new one.

What is a recommend USB to Hella plug in that will bloody well stay on when plugged in. I've purchased the SW Motech angled one and it wasn't cheap and the only way that the thing will stay powered on is to slightly pull it up a little. If I try and push it all the way in it won't power on, is there maybe something wrong with the front aux hella plug.

Must the Hella aux socket as the SW Motech USB plugs works fine in my car. Is it worth replacing the aux socket?

So when I'm riding all I get is this intermittent beep of the phone powering on and off in my BT headset, very annoying

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
That's really why I made the change. Plugging in adaptors is something I hate. I have made up a neat little collar that allow me to swap the USB for the Hella in a minute or two. I only use the Hella in the Winter for my gloves, but having the USB is really useful. The body of the Hella and USB are different sizes and once I drilled out the fascia I realised that the hella wouldn't fit any more so I made up an insert to push in. All good now.

Offline TigerEXP

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
Don't really want to drill it out. I have a extension Hella plug to the good old fashion cigarette lighter plug.

I've now been able to get the hella plug to stay put in the socket by placing a small thin plastic washer over the inserting tip so it won't push all the way in and just keeps it a little out and it now stays on, trouble is with the ext cable I think I'm getting voltage drop as the phone is saying like 1hr 47 min to fully charged and its already 75% full.

This is what's happening when I'm using the GPS on the phone  and I think its draining quicker than it can charge..

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by TigerEXP [+]
This is what's happening when I'm using the GPS on the phone  and I think its draining quicker than it can charge..

Used to happen to me all the time on a standard 1 amp USB switched to a 2 amp and problem solved

Offline TigerEXP

• Explorer Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
I'm using a 2amp and its still flaky

Recent Topics