Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Peak or no peak  (Read 667 times)

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: explorer
Peak or no peak
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
I know it's a matter of preference, but what is the general opinion of a peaked helmet as opposed to a traditional version. I'm particularly thinking aerodynamics versus sun/rain protection.

Offline T-Mac

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Peak or no peak
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
I have a showing nxr and I tried a arai tour x4 for a while. As far as I can tell the only real difference between the peak and non peak, is styling. It made no difference to rain protection or keeping the sun out of my eyes.
I soon sold the arai on but only because the shoei felt nicer.
If at first you don't succeed..........find a bigger hammer

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
The peak is generally there on MX helmets to shield the visor from flying mud (which it does quite well). Other than that, it really has no other benefit, other than being fashionable for the ADV market segment.

On the downside, I would expect the peak to offer up more wind noise at all times and more head twist in strong crosswinds at highway speeds.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
That's pretty much what I would have expected. I might grab a cheap peaked jobby and give it a whirl, out of curiosity.

Offline Simian73

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by organaphus [+]
That's pretty much what I would have expected. I might grab a cheap peaked jobby and give it a whirl, out of curiosity.

Cheap peaked lids often aren't designed as well as the more expensive stuff, this is apparent in use due to excessive wind noise and tugging on your neck when riding at any decent speed.  Look at the peak design on things like shark adventure carbon and the shoei hornet 2

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Member
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Explorer XCa '16
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
i finally went for a peaked adventure style helmet - Schuberth E1 and have found the peak very useful in a low sun.  I commute directly into a rising sun on the way to work and directly into a setting sun on the way home, with a low sun i adjust the peak to its lowest setting and it works a treat.

Horses for courses though.  Although I do agree with the comment about cheap helmets - don't do a direct comparison with a quality non-peaked and cheap peaked.
TTruckie

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
I wouldn't add anything to such en eloquent report.

Schuberth E1 is what I always wanted. It litterally transformed my eyes' life ;-)
The key function is the peak can be adjusted on 3 settings (from low down to block the Sun, to way up high to clear up the view).

Word of warning though: any peak makes your helmet more sensitive to buffeting, so be prepared to fiddle your aerodynamics once more ;-)

Recent Topics