Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who previously owned a Tiger 1050 prior to purchasing a 1200 Explorer  (Read 763 times)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Who previously owned a Tiger 1050 prior to purchasing a 1200 Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Grey tiger [+]
Hi Griff,
I recently got a valuation on my 2013 xc in excellent condition and it came in at $10800 which is about 6370 British pounds or 7130 euro. They sure lose value quickly. Mine has 37000 Klms on it. I'll be keeping mine till the wheels drop off.

That's a lot better than the €5500 I was offered.  It is well known that the new motorcycle market in Ireland is very poor. With trade ins like I was offered I am not surprised that folks are holding on to their bikes. As far as I am concerned the dealers don't seem to realise that the recession is over, as they are still offering recession prices.  As such, imho the dealers over here are playing a large part in the continuation of their own poor performance. Needless to say there are always one or two exceptions but they are rare . 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:44:44 AM by Griff »

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
When I got my Gen 2 XRT the dealer gave me £6640 for my 2013 Gen 1 Tex with between 20k & 25k miles -  and that was 2 years ago, so by comparison I'm envious of how much your dealer is offering you! Needless to say they gave my Gen 1 a wash & polish and sold it within 2 weeks - they asked just short of £1k more for it, but of course the buyer might have haggled them down.

That equates to about €7556 at current rates. However two years ago the sterling to euro rate would have been considerably better (.7204) meaning that the equivalent euro price would have been closer to €9200.  Even knocking off €1000 pa that would put a value of about €7000 at current rates, still much better than I am being offered.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:57:26 AM by Griff »

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
Griff,
I was comparing my deal to Grey Tiger's. Mine depreciated the same amount as his but 2 years quicker !!

As for dealer's attitude to prices, discounts, trade-ins etc in this country the whole market place has been skewed by the boom in PCP finance deals. Quite what will happen when that bubble bursts is anyone's guess as long term it's unsustainable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:03:01 PM by Will Morgan »

Offline teef.au

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
Going back to the original question, I had a 1050 then got the Explorer, had them both for a few months and rode them both too.

The 1050 for me is still to this day by far the best commuting motorcycle I have ever owned. It's a little low geared for my taste overall, but it just exploded off the line from a standing start, assisted no doubt by the fact that it's lighter. It was a very manoevrable machine in traffic, but again for my taste just lacked a bit of solid stability at speed on the highway, it was almost too twitchy for me to take it seriously as a tourer.

Unlike you I think it's a great looking bike, more so than the Tex.

I like cruise control, which I think only came to the 1050 in 2016 or 17? Before ride-by-wire I know many folks regarded the throttle as a bit snatchy at low settings. Making them a touch difficult to ride smoothly in very slow traffic. This was never a serious downside to me. I'm sure ride-by-wire has solved this on a new one. In fact stepping from the 1050 to the 1200 I thought the Tex was lacking power, but that was just an initial impression because of the electronically controlled throttle response.

Plenty of guys go up one tooth on the front sprocket with no reported ill effects just to make them a little more relaxed if you are touring.

I did a ton of work two-up on it and I have nothing bad to report.

I bailed before there were any reports on the newer 1050s. The early 1050s were noted for having cast pistons and spontaneously dropping compression which was annoying and expensive. However somewhere around 2009 they seem to have quietly gone back to forged pistons like the 955 before them and no real problems have been reported after that.

Road handling was incredible in tight technical twisties. It was very sharp for an adventure bike. On faster sweepers, large sports bikes could get away from me. I never took mine off road. I ran Pilot Road 4s on it and generally found it a very sure footed motorcycle.

Not sure what else to tell you. I sold it because I thought I shouldn't have two tigers. Now I'm not sure I should have. I miss it.
2015 Explorer
2005 CBR1100XX
2012 SFV650U Gladius

Offline Mr Gin

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRT
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
Hi Griff

I have had a couple of 1050 Tigers and the only thing that really bugged me was the buffeting, even with the taller screen, but the good side is they are great fun. I had the standard and the SE versions, but eventually ended up on a first gen Tex then a couple of speedtriples and back on a TXR, heavy but great on the road.
Since 1976..................

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
Many thanks teef.au for that comprehensive report.  Thanks also to Mr Gin

What is becoming clear from other folks I have spoken with is that everyone seemed to regret having parted with their 1050's.  That is also showing on here.

Recent Topics