Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: headstock adjustment  (Read 193 times)

Offline fubbytucker

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
headstock adjustment
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:38:13 PM »
The headstock bearing on my 2013 tex was replaced earlier this week as it was notched.
On riding now the steering feels very stiff, more stiff than I've ever had on a bike.  I'm sure it is overly tight and I'm finding the bike is very hard to ride smoothly, all adjustments to direction are having to be forced.
Is this adjustable in any way or should I be waiting to see if it loosens as it beds in?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: headstock adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by fubbytucker [+]
should I be waiting to see if it loosens as it beds in?
If it was the case, then every new Tex would have this problem.
And I had two and none of them was affected.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by fubbytucker [+]
Is this adjustable in any way or should I be waiting to see if it loosens as it beds in?

There is adjustment. On the steering stem there is an adjuster nut & a lock nut. The adjuster should be tighten to 40Nm, slackened off, then re-torqued to 10Nm. Then the lock nut is tightened against the adjuster. Is it possible when the lock nut was done up it turned & tightened the adjuster more the 10Nm? In theory it requires special tools = a castellated socket to torque the adjuster & a C spanner to hold it while the lock nut is tightened. Was the work done by a T dealer who should have the tools & know the procedure or was it a independent workshop who didn't so guessed?

When my h/stock bearing needed adjustment I wanted to order the tools from my dealer but they told me to take the bike in & they did for free!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:19:33 AM by Will Morgan »

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 2012
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
I did mine this week as a matter of urgency when I found noticeable play in the bearings. I didn't have any special tools. A 38mm socket fits the top nut (or 1 1/2") just fine. Of course I'd rather have a dealer do it but I've been working on cars for 40 years and of course looked at You Toob for some hints. I couldn't leave it like that so had to tackle it. Only needed a nip. Made a huge difference to the steering. But mine was too loose not too tight. I have to say that if that was mine I'd be straight back round to the place that did the work in the first place. It needs to be right and there should be some resistance but it shouldn't drag. Worth checking of course that they've not trapped any cables or anything under the shroud.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC +955i
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »
I'd take it back and have them adjust it again. It should be smooth and easy to turn. Some heavy handed monkey with no torque wrench likely did it the first time :232:

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Agree, somethings not right. Rather than have a look yourself just take it back.

Recent Topics