Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre pressure question  (Read 721 times)

Offline AndyB333

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Crystal White 17 Xcx
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Tyre pressure question
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
It seems tyre pressures are set to the own personal preference, but as the manual for my bike (17 Xcx} says 32 39 f/r does anyone know if this is the same for rider and also rider plus pillion and luggage??

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
Re: Tyre pressure question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
My '65 plate Gen 1 says 36 & 42 but that a drop of up to 4 psi can be made for increased grip and comfort but no more than 4 psi

It is for all levels of load but I stick to the top settings for fully loaded
2018 Xca, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline AndyB333

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Crystal White 17 Xcx
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
So what changes did Triumph make to the gen 2 to change the pressures from 36/42 to 32/39??

Offline Simian73

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
The changes from gen 1 to gen 2 meant the tyre sizes increased and looking on the metzeler site shows the pressures reduced as mentioned

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by AndyB333 [+]
It seems tyre pressures are set to the own personal preference, but as the manual for my bike (17 Xcx} says 32 39 f/r does anyone know if this is the same for rider and also rider plus pillion and luggage??

Yes - same for rider and rider plus pillion, 32/39

Online Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
Advice from Michelin and elsewhere years ago was to use the recommended pressures, then go for a ride till the tyres warm up fully (20 miles or so), stop and check the warm pressure and it should be 10% higher, let them cool again and tweak the cold pressures until you achieve the optimum 10% differential, this is then your best pressure for your style of riding and bike loading.

36/42psi is pretty much standard across all makes and models, I suspect that the change in tyre width and profile and the way this interacts with the traction control, semi-active suspension and steering geometry is why they have reduced the pressures for the newer bikes, as above, if in doubt try the +10% rule, my 2015 feels a little reluctant to turn in on cold tyres, but is fine when warmed up.

Different tyres even from the same manufacturer behave slightly differently from each other, so be prepared to do the test again when you change to get the most from your chosen tyres.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline mrhydea4

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by AndyB333 [+]
So what changes did Triumph make to the gen 2 to change the pressures from 36/42 to 32/39??

My opinion, although I only have anecdotal evidence to support it, is that Triumph gave the Gen 2's the wrong spec. So many people are experiencing poor wear on the OEM front tires that, according to the Metzeler rep I talked to, indicates overloading or underinflation. Plus all pics of the TPMS in the Gen 2 manual say 36/42. I've done technical documentation before, and you always want to reinforce correct behavior, so why not show the "correct" values?

Now I get off my soapbox... lol

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by mrhydea4 [+]
My opinion, although I only have anecdotal evidence to support it, is that Triumph gave the Gen 2's the wrong spec. So many people are experiencing poor wear on the OEM front tires that, according to the Metzeler rep I talked to, indicates overloading or underinflation. Plus all pics of the TPMS in the Gen 2 manual say 36/42. I've done technical documentation before, and you always want to reinforce correct behavior, so why not show the "correct" values?

Now I get off my soapbox... lol

Don’t know what the changes were - apart from the obvious ones of different sized tyres etc - but I did mail Triumph technical directly to query it as, as you say the manual diagrams suggest 36/42 (whilst the spec says 32/39. They came back to me and confirmed that for the Gen-2, 32/39 was correct and that the diagrams needed to be updated.

As for the front tyre - yep I had one of those that demolished itself at just over 4,000 miles and whilst I agree that normally that would be caused by under/over inflation, there was definitely a fault with the front tyre itself as my replacements (Michelin PR4 Trail) are both showing normal wear, and I’m running 32/39.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:31:18 PM by Hawkeye »

Recent Topics

nonskid