Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No 4th anymore!!!!  (Read 2051 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: No 4th anymore!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
Well, thinking back to it, here is the complete gearbox story:
- April 2017: gearbox out for warranty job (3rd to neutral well documented problem), including replacing the 2nd and 3rd gears.
- Right after that, an oil drip appeared. They had me give the bike back several times to locate the origin of the leak (each time was a PITA, since I work 09:00-19:00 every day and the bike is my only vehicle for my 100 km daily commuting). They finally located the problem in the gearbox/transmission gasket (like I told them from the start).
- October 2017: I had the 64,000 km service (ouch!) and they replaced the faulty gasket in the same operation. When I got the bike back, I felt the gearbox was a bit stiffer than before but I thought it could just be me...
- November 2017: first failing upshifts from 3rd to 4th. Since I had changed the pedal position, I thought it was just user error.
- January 2018: the 4th doesn't lock properly anymore. Well it stays, but rattles under engine load.

In my biking world, a (rarely used) 4th gear does NOT fail after 3 years and a half. Unless it is faulty (manufacturer's fault) or damaged by incompetent techs (dealer's fault).

In any case, I'm p!ssed off. The dealer'd better make me an incredible offer on a red XRT or I'm out for good.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
There again is my point regarding the dealership. The job wasn't even fixed properly after the April 2017 work and that necessitated the latest fix on the gasket. Imho this dealership should be referred to Triumph Hq. 

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »
This will certainly be done when I'll have bailed out to BMW.
In the meantime, I let them a last chance to show me they can be useful to anything else than sucking my money.

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
This will certainly be done when I'll have bailed out to BMW.
In the meantime, I let them a last chance to show me they can be useful to anything else than sucking my money.

I quite understand your feelings. I vowed never to enter another BMW dealership after getting shot of an RT that was a money pit of failed components.

Good luck on your journey in the other direction. 😀
--------
If not now, when?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
I quite understand your feelings. I vowed never to enter another BMW dealership after getting shot of an RT that was a money pit of failed components.

Good luck on your journey in the other direction. 😀
I seriously hope that I won't have to move that way. But if Triumph leaves me no other choice, I'll have an ugly GS (I tried almost everything and this is the only bike that fits my needs, second to the Tex of course).

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
BTW, riding without 4th is no pleasure.
And I'm beginning to go paranoid with the bike. I have feelings sometimes that something's wrong but I can't quite make anything factual (slight hesitation when riding in 6th on the CC, something slippery strange coming from the rear wheel when overtaking...).
It could be nothing, but does someone know if running like that could further damage my gearbox?
(the st/dealer assured me that it wasn't the case, but he's the same who told me to run on 98RON instead of 95 because it gives more power)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
Personally I would not be inclined to ride a bike in the same condition as Yours currently. 

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »
Sadly, I have no other choice.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Had a discussion with the dealer yesterday. Given my pesonal record with the brand and given that a 4th gear is clearly not supposed to fail after 70k km of highway on CC, he will ask for a Triumph's good will gesture.
Still, I'll have to ride without 4th until at least the beginning of March...
I would be very concerned about the possibility of collateral damage, continuing to ride with this problem.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Slayer57

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Orléans
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
What the hell is going on with Triumph?  :024:
They even try to copy the poor support and behaviour of their leader???

I'm very sorry for you too Nik. As you know I have a similar issue with Triu :172: and the only way is to use the support of the insurance lawyer. Time consuming but .....

La peur n'évite pas le danger.....more or less in English : fear doesn't prevent danger.

Recent Topics