Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 XRT first impressions (moving up from a Tiger 800)  (Read 4712 times)

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Tiger 1200 XRT first impressions (moving up from a Tiger 800)
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »
Well... this is first impressions indeed because I have only ridden it back from the dealers.

Two (important) things straight away for winter riding. It's got an ambient temperature reading on the dash (I wish my Tiger 800 had has this) and also the heated seat was lovely, even for the relatively short ride. Another improvement over the 800 is the hand guards are bigger and rotated more upwards, so should do a better job of cutting the wind chill (although I've ordered heated gloves after a few cold rides recently).

First, a picture of the bike...

I traded in a 2013 Tiger 800 ABS, which I rode on the high seat setting. I rode the 1200 home on the low seat setting (just in case) and found it comfortable like that, although the slightly different position of the foot pegs will take getting use to. I got the feeling I needed to extend my foot further forward to avoid catching my calf on the peg. The bike is very manageable when balanced (of course), and didn't feel any more (top) heavy than the 800. It did show its weight when being pushed backwards into the garage (slight incline).

I loved the front brake, much better at stopping than the 800 even with the extra weight. Of course I'm limited to 3500 RPM so can't comment on performance yet... The mirrors are really good, the riding position is commanding, and I had no problem getting through the Manchester rush hour traffic even with the panniers on.

I went for the smaller option of the engine bars, so they would be less obtrusive, and they do a good job of not hiding the nice view of the engine. A quick test showed they would be good for an alternative foot rest (which I couldn't do with the stock engine bars on my 800). I'm not planning on testing them otherwise!

A couple of details which I was mulling over. There is a 12V aux socket by the rear seat - I am hoping I can use this for my heated gloves without too much faff. You can also see the switch for the heated pillion seat...

I installed a hugger on my 800 but am put off the idea on the 1200 (due to the single side mounting point) and it looks like some attempt has been made to keep spray off the shock in any case. There is a piece of plastic following the curve of the wheel which can be seen in the centre of this photo...

Now I need to go and read the manual!

Cheers
guiri

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
Re: Tiger 1200 XRT first impressions (moving up from a Tiger 800)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »
Very nice.

Congrats on the new bike.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Two (important) things straight away for winter riding. It's got an ambient temperature reading on the dash (I wish my Tiger 800 had has this) and also the heated seat was lovely, even for the relatively short ride. Another improvement over the 800 is the hand guards are bigger and rotated more upwards, so should do a better job of cutting the wind chill (although I've ordered heated gloves after a few cold rides recently).
Being an all year Texer, I finally resorted to (wireless) heated gloves (+ handguards + heated grips) and I'm completely satisfied with my warm hands, even after one hour under subzero temps ;-)

First, a picture of the bike...
Ah! The fastest colour!
(c8
Though it looks a bit orange on the picture. White balance problem or does it look like this in the flesh?

I went for the smaller option of the engine bars, so they would be less obtrusive, and they do a good job of not hiding the nice view of the engine. A quick test showed they would be good for an alternative foot rest (which I couldn't do with the stock engine bars on my 800). I'm not planning on testing them otherwise!
Mmmm... never liked the Triumph crashbars, but hose indeed seem unobtrusive. I could make up my mind...

A couple of details which I was mulling over. There is a 12V aux socket by the rear seat - I am hoping I can use this for my heated gloves without too much faff.
Didn't you notice the front socket?

I installed a hugger on my 800 but am put off the idea on the 1200 (due to the single side mounting point) and it looks like some attempt has been made to keep spray off the shock in any case. There is a piece of plastic following the curve of the wheel which can be seen in the centre of this photo...
The shock protector should be enough to protect the thing.
As for limiting dirt and water projection from the rear, the best answer seems to extend the rear flap.

Anyway, congrats buddy!

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Wow that's nice.
Looks fantastic in Red. I wasn't sure between red or white as they had both in the showroom, in the end i went for white, its a pearl type effect white. But the color choice was close.
I'm also going for the smaller engine bars, they look tidier.
Also was thinking about a hugger like the Puig type but still not sure.
For luggage i'm probably going with Givi Trekker Outback, but that Triumph kit you got looks really good on your bike. I'm curious, what size (litres) are the panniers and topbox and will a full size helmet fit in them all?

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Though it looks a bit orange on the picture. White balance problem or does it look like this in the flesh?
I've got a RAL colour deck, I will take a photo alongside and that might help you judge.

Didn't you notice the front socket?
Yes but I want to dedicate that to a phone charger (for sat nav)!

Anyway, congrats buddy!
:821:

Offline Scoby

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: White Tex
  • City / Town: Wexford
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Budweiserfrogie [+]
For luggage i'm probably going with Givi Trekker Outback, but that Triumph kit you got looks really good on your bike. I'm curious, what size (litres) are the panniers and topbox and will a full size helmet fit in them all?

Those panniers came on the Gen 1 explorer, you will pick them up cheap second hand. They are 37lts and 18lts if I remember correctly. They are fully water proof but they weigh a ton! If I was starting from scratch it would be Triumph's Expedition panniers or  Trax

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Also was thinking about a hugger like the Puig type but still not sure.
I wasn't keen on a hugger but having seen that there is a moulded shock protector already included I won't be bothering. The hugger on my 800 didn't stop crap being thrown all over the top box either, so I might be trying something like this thread as suggested by NiK.
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,14204.0.html

I had the similar luggage on my 800 and quite liked it. I'm not after the "off road" look and you can get a full size helmet in the top box and the left pannier. The right pannier is compromised as it wraps round the exhaust (but the boxes are symmetrical on the bike). The configurator gives the panniers as 62 litres for both and the top box as 35 litres.

Cheers
guiri

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:34:06 AM »
Congrats, that's beautiful.  Did you get TPMS?  Be very interested to hear your thoughts on engine vibes when she get some more miles on her.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Did you get TPMS?

Hi pcarnut

Hopefully the TPMS will be fitted at the first service in February (if the part has reached the dealer).

Cheers
guiri

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »
Hi pcarnut

Hopefully the TPMS will be fitted at the first service in February (if the part has reached the dealer).

Cheers
guiri
I'm hopefully collecting my XRT in next few days.
Didn't ask them when its gonna be ready just told them to call me when the extras were in and fitted.
But i wonder will i be waiting for the TPMS too?
Ah well. It'll be ready when its rrady i suppose  :430:  :028:

Recent Topics