Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Running a cable from underseat to handlebars  (Read 1088 times)

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Running a cable from underseat to handlebars
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
Hi all

Before I start pulling trim off my new bike, I would like an idea if I'm doing the right thing... (read some issues about lockthread on fasteners)

I want to run a cable for phone power (effectively USB) from underseat to the handlebars. Can I get away with just removing the two fasteners highlighted in yellow (and the corresponding two black pieces of trim) or will I need to tackle the Triumph logo on the side of the tank as well?

Any advice will be much appreciated (especially if the black trim needs a particular technique to get off).

Cheers
guiri

Offline Number14

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: Running a cable from underseat to handlebars
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
As Kylie Mynogue sang “ you should be so lucky”.

You’ll have to remove the entire left side label on the tank to feed the cable up along the inside of the frame.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Number14 [+]
You’ll have to remove the entire left side label on the tank to feed the cable up along the inside of the frame.

That's what I was worried about in terms of fasteners that have been lockthreaded... I will have a gentle tweak to see what happens... and maybe I will get lucky!

Cheers
guiri

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
Well, I did pass some wire without removing ANY part whatsoever.
A bit of careful fiddling and you can have wires run under the tank up to the bars.
However, you might end up with wires not completely concealed from view.

As for having +12V and GRD from the underseat, I strongly recommend to take both from a dedicated "fuze block". I have the one built and sold by Mark (https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,10774.0.html) and it is simply excellent.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:23:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Well, I did pass some wire without removing ANY part whatsoever.
A bit of careful fiddling and you can have wires run under the tank up to the bars.
However, you might end up with wires not completely concealed from view.

:0461:   I did exactly that. It took a bit of patience and a stiff wire hook to pull/push the cable thru' the gaps. I found it was a lot easier on the right side of the bike than the left side - there seemed to be less obstructions and/or more space. From memory I think it was mainly the top radiator hose that got in the way on the left.

Offline oddwriter

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
I've also got Mark's fuse block but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to decide where to put it as its not totally waterproof and don't want to cause problems due to water ingress. Where/how have you mounted yours?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by oddwriter [+]
I've also got Mark's fuse block but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to decide where to put it as its not totally waterproof and don't want to cause problems due to water ingress. Where/how have you mounted yours?
Under the seat.
From there, I distribute current to several mods. Of course, since I have two left hands with only thumbs, one of the mods did short-circuit, but Mark's auto-rearming fuse did its job incredibly well!

HIGHLY recommended.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Well, I did pass some wire without removing ANY part whatsoever. A bit of careful fiddling and you can have wires run under the tank up to the bars. However, you might end up with wires not completely concealed from view.

*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I did exactly that. It took a bit of patience and a stiff wire hook to pull/push the cable thru' the gaps. I found it was a lot easier on the right side of the bike than the left side - there seemed to be less obstructions and/or more space. From memory I think it was mainly the top radiator hose that got in the way on the left.

Thanks guys for the advice. Mission accomplished (with the wire completely hidden) and I have put some photos on a how-to here.

Cheers
guiri

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
Glad to see you're there now.

If you do remove the side panels be aware that after removing the bolts you must slide the panels rearwards to release a tab on the back. Pulling directly out away from the bike will not end well...

Its easier if you remove the forward panel first (tank badge, then radiator shroud) as they fit over the top of the side panel you're trying to get off.

Thanks for the positive comments re the fuse block. They've been on hold for a while - my CNC machine packed up so I can't machine out the boxes myself any more but I've sent a batch out for machining. The finished fuse blocks should be ready to ship out in another week or so. On the subject of waterproofing, the PCBs are all conformally coated so will withstand splashes of water without any problems. You wouldn't them catching the spray off a wheel, but a few drops won't be a problem.

Cheers, Mark

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »
Ran the cable from the battery myself... it was so much fun doing it...  NOT.  :008:

Took a live off the battery into a 3 way plug-in waterproof connector block. One supplies the satnav, one supplies a twin USB/voltmeter on the screen frame, and one left over for the next gadget I decide to fit.  :002: All gadgets have inline fuses under the seat.

It's a bugger when you put the side panels back on and find you've got something left over.  :038: :008: :008:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Recent Topics

nonskid