Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New French laws (again)  (Read 433 times)

Offline PapaTom

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Ride Safe - Ride Tomorrow
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Barnsley
New French laws (again)
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »

Hi all.
Just seen on another forum that the French are introducing some new road laws. 
Of particular interest to all us venturing over, from the 1st of June this year, there will be a blanket 80kph speed limit on all roads with no central reservation. 
Other bits and pieces regarding mot's, drink /drug driving etc., I would like to think that that does not affect us anyhow. 
I'm sure some of our French brethren can enlighten more. 

Food for thought.

Online grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
Re: New French laws (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
Go to Germany instead!

Having said that, I like touring France and any law that really helps road safety I applaud. They will ignore "petty' laws anyway.
Explorer Xc, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
Indeed I read about the reduction from 90kph to 80 kph but thought it was only "A" roads (is there a difference?)

Just follows on from the CE certification for gloves they brought in last year and that you have to wear them whenever you are riding (which I don't disagree with).

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
Here we go again!
Yet another dishonest and/or incompetent government imposing its mark on road 'safety'.

90 to 80: plain stoopid. Experiments (during 3 years) show no safety gain AT ALL. But they show a large increase in automatic speeding fines. Just saying...

MOT every year: excellent way to make the wealthies richer (MOT controllers, garages, car sellers...) and the needies poorer (those who can't afford a new vehicle every 2 or 3 years). Impact on road safety: proven close to 0 numerous times by numerous studies all across the world.

Stricter penalties in case of phoning on the road: the current laws are already disuasive. They are simply not enforced (because the police wastes its time focusing on easy cash, sorry, catching low speeding drivers).

Last but not least: NOTHING regarding better education. As usual.

The only really constant thing in my country is just that: whatever the political parties, none of them is but a bunch of ignorant cowards when it comes to road safety.

Online onthemayside

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Honda Varadero
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
I go to France every year just for the quality of their roads and have been for 10 years. Generally when I'm over there I ride it like I stole it when I'm out on the open D roads. A bit of common sense when other vehicles are about and in towns/ villages and everything is tickety-boo. We've never had any bother with the law and long may it last. If I wanted to ride my bike at 50mph I'd stay at home with all the Sunday drivers on our clogged up roads and save myself the cost of the ferry.

Offline PapaTom

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Ride Safe - Ride Tomorrow
  • Bike: Blue Explorer
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
 :008:

Thanks Nik.
I was waiting for your usual take on things.

:152:

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Bike: TRex,Dyt'a12,CB250RS
  • City / Town: St Cleer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
Blimey, the last time I rode in France was 1985, or by car in 1986!!!

Just out of curiosity, back then there used to be a rule that you had to carry a spare set of bulbs with you at all times. Is that still the case? I only wonder as my current car doesn’t have a single conventional bulb in it and I wondered if the law had caught up with the reality.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
yes - and No. My understanding is that whilst its not a legal requirement to carry a bulb kit anymore, it is illegal to have a light out and, if stopped by a police officer due to a light out, you must be able to change said bulb there and then. So you have to carry one. I agree a bit harder with LED lights.....

Don't forget as well now, you are required also to have a Hi-Vis for you and all your passengers in case of breakdown, which must be in reach from where you sit (so a tank bag item).

Online grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
you must be able to change said bulb there and then. So you have to carry one. I agree a bit harder with LED lights.....

Try that on some modern cars!!!  And Bikes.

As for LEDs, my Beemer is led and I'm not going to invest ££££££££££££ in a new set AND carry them all round in my luggage. Do LEDs just 'go out' in one go like a bulb?

Anyway, planning France this year on the way to Germany, Austria and Italy. Will take in Route Napolean so let's hope that sensible riding does not give them a reason to stop us.
Explorer Xc, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Bike: TRex,Dyt'a12,CB250RS
  • City / Town: St Cleer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
Thanks for the answer Hawkeye  :028:

Recent Topics