Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New French laws (again)  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: New French laws (again)
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Just be VERY careful in Switzerland as they loathe speeding and the fines are massive even for a slight "discrepancy" in speed, more so I think than any other country in Europe

Here's some proof of the Swiss speed fines (relevant bit from about 7.35 mins in):

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 05:06:14 PM »
They hate bikers - as we make noise - we go fast - avoiding it totally on our upcoming trip ! 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
On my recent trip across France, I triggered two cameras (that I know about. Do they all flash?). But no fines on the doormat yet.

When I had figured out what they look like, I had my eagle-eyed wife on spotting duty.

I reckon they are trying to divert traffic to the N roads (ie. the dual carriageways).

But many, many stretches of road were designated as 80kph would be perfectly safe at 110kph. I’m all for safety and in the UK it’s mostly limited correctly (IMO). But the French limits (and Italian) are stupid.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
On my recent trip across France, I triggered two cameras (that I know about. Do they all flash?).
They all do flash. Only a very small number (yet) are completely undetectable (IR cameras with invisible illuminator).

Firstly, roughly half of them are flashing oncoming vehicles. Obviously, you can't easily identify a motorcycle with only a front picture.
Secondly, a significant number of pictures aren't fit for fining (blurred image, confusing objects in the frame...).
Finally, since the beginning of the yellow jackets protests, a large number of radars were put out of order and never repaired.

All of this doesn't make France the worst country in the world for speeding if this is your thing.

*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
But many, many stretches of road were designated as 80kph would be perfectly safe at 110kph. I’m all for safety and in the UK it’s mostly limited correctly (IMO). But the French limits (and Italian) are stupid.
I admire your analysis skills. Without knowing actual accident statistics, I coudn't estimate the perfectly safe speed on a given road (apart from the obvious 0 km/h derived from the laws of physics). A road is not only a stretch of asphalt. It's a surface onto which many vehicles (and potentially other mobile objects) move.
I agree that some limitations do seem utterly underclassified, but I know some others with unrealistic upper limits (notably some very beautiful roads in the Alps with tight blind curves everywhere).
All of this is far too subjective to make everyone agree.

Recent Topics