Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lake District B&B's  (Read 218 times)

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: White XRX
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Lake District B&B's
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
Afternoon all,

Due to a mix of work, weather and other commitments I haven't been able to get out on the bike recently and to be honest I am finding it really annoying!

So I have therefore booked Friday 19th and Monday 22nd Jan off work and I'm looking to get up to the Lake District to do some exploring.

I have done a fair bit in the southern lakes area around Windermere etc but I am wanting to get a bit further north and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any B&B's and possibly a good place to stay that's central to good riding places, mind you I've not really found a bad riding place in the Lakes other than in summer when the roads are heaving.

I did consider camping but as the weather is so changeable at the moment I think I will be happier and enjoy myself more in a B&B knowing I have a nice bed to sleep in

Anyway any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Anthony

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Re: Lake District B&B's
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »
Hi Anthony

Last time I stayed at the Brathay Lodge in Ambleside.
Clean, comfortable and affordable, but no cooked breakfast.

Have you tried looking in Trivago or Booking.com?

Have a great stay,

Phil  :152:

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that, yes I've had a look at Trivago, Booking.com and Laterooms and there are a few on there but was just seeing if anyone had any recommendations where they have stayed, like a decent breakfast and safe parking etc.

I'm open to any advice as there are plenty of places up there really as I'm a bit of a novice to all this stuff, usually just a day tripper when I go out.

Anthony

Online Tuggy

• Explorer Junior
  • Old Seadog, learning new tricks.
  • Bike: XRT
  • City / Town: Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »
Have you checked out Kevins’ page;

http://www.motorbikeadventuresofbritain.co.uk

Good for winter nights in.
BSA, Z400, Z650, FJR, CRF1000L, XRT

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
Oh my lord I’m so dumb I forgot all about Kevin and his videos/book etc thanks for that I will check those out again

Offline Villager

• Explorer Member
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
Ambleside is a pleasant village with lots of options for routes. I stayed in the Queens Hotel which was okay for B&B. Plenty of choice for food, from a chip shop to fine dining in the Old Stamp House.
Parking: on the wide pavement outside the front door.

If you want to be in the north then try Pooley Bridge - a number of pubs & B&Bs but I don't have a recommendation.

This time of the year I would be flexible and maybe book late. The Lake District is not a nice place in the wet, even in summer. The altitude of some of the roads means you might be in cloud or encounter ice. Have a plan B - I had a nice few days in the Yorkshire Dales last February, although the melting snow caused some deep water in the bottoms of the valleys, so again, you need to be flexible as some routes may be inaccessible. 

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
Cover your bets and book somewhere to the East of the Lake District, say The Green Dragon Inn, Hardraw in the Dales. Just north of Hawes. Alternately the Tan Hill Inn.
If the weather looks good in the west then the Lakes are easily accessible. If the weather says go east then you can cross the Dales into the NY Moors all the way to Whitby.
Used both and are Biker friendly. Probably got Garmin routes somewhere covering both scenarios if it helps.
The Prodded Dog

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
 Here’s for the advice guys, didn’t really think of a plan b so that’s something else to think about, is a good idea though and think the one staying somewhere in between might be good as then have a choice depending on what the weather is like

Thanks again is appreciated, never done it before and I’ll be on my own so wanting to plan as best I can

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
Keswick is the best area for what you want, but isn't great for parking, can also be a bit pricey, having said that there are plenty of bike friendly places : http://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/bikerfriendlyaccommodationkeswicklakedistrict.html

We stayed here for a Versys meet when they first opened up, a good few years ago, Steve had a Tiger 1050 at the time, nice place with some bike parking
http://www.pitcairnhouse.co.uk/

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics