Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant change not done  (Read 1029 times)

Offline DennisF

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Coolant change not done
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
My 2014 TEX went in for annual and 10000 mile service in December.  Despite being told “everything was fine” I can now see from the paperwork that they didn’t change the coolant, which was due as the bike is now 3 years old - it appears they just did the 10000 mile service items.  I cannot remonstrate with the dealer as they have lost the franchise and shut down!  So, how important is this to be done on time?  Could it wait another 12 months until the next service or should I bite the bullet, drain and remove tank etc and change the coolant myself?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Coolant change not done
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
My opinion is that it is relatively rare for people to follow the coolant service schedule. It could probably wait until the next service, subject to conditions such as having topped the reservoir up with plain water or the wrong type of coolant. I guess that the big concern is corrosion due to the depletion of anti-corrosion agents in the coolant.

Having said that, it is not that difficult to change the coolant yourself, if you are mechanically inclined. I've done it, but I have also done my own servicing.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:14:17 AM »
OAT coolant has a long lifetime. I wouldn't be worried about leaving it for a year more. If you want to do it yourself, the drain point is at the bottom left of the radiator, and you should unbolt the header tank from the the lh side of the bike and empty it as well. Fill up at the top left of the radiator, and bleed air out of the vent point on the hose coming out of the top right of the radiator. It's a bit laborious to expose those upper points.

Offline DennisF

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »
Thanks to both of you.  I’ll probably leave it until the next service if it isn’t critical to do it on time.

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
When I have had a used car or bike and not sure about the coolant, I have sucked some coolant from the radiator or expansion bottle using a large syringe and if needed, piece of tube. I placed the coolant in a suitable container and stuck it in the freezer. If it remains liquid then it is likely the correct strength. Of course, this does not tell you the remaining anti-corrosion properties but it will let you ride the bike at this time of year without any worries of the block freezing and let you leave the change to a more convenient time (or warmer if you do your maintenance outdoors)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Yes, but the freezing point won't change with age. It's specifically the anti-corrosion properties which are the reason why you need to change the fluid as the chemicals get used up doing that job.

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
Yes, but the freezing point won't change with age. It's specifically the anti-corrosion properties which are the reason why you need to change the fluid as the chemicals get used up doing that job.

In the context of my post, if the vehicle has had other owners, the coolant may have been diluted and therefore not an effective anti-freeze. The OP did not give us this information, hence my post which might help reduce anxiety until changing the coolant is convenient.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
I suppose on a 10,000 mile bike the coolant is unlikely to have been tampered with by previous owners unless the bike has been losing coolant, which also is unlikely as these bikes in general do not lose coolant. I know there are a tiny few exceptions to this.

Accordingly I would tend in this situation to leave the coolant change to the next service. I had the same coolant in my former GL1800 for 5 years without issue. That bike lived outdoors in all temperatures. When I eventually drained it the coolant showed no signs of corrosion residue and looked as good as new. 

If worried about the contents of the header tank, it is easily drained and refilled. There is a lot of emphasis by various manufacturers on regular changing of various fluids nowadays. Needless to say they are selling a product and want to sell more.  :038:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »
Speaking from personal experience, I have had occasion to top up the coolant on my first gen TEX because of leaks resulting from the poor quality hose clamps. This was further complicated by the fact that another dealership had performed the head replacement before I bought my bike, and by the fact that the Triumph branded coolant is not available in here CA.

Consequently, I had some doubt as to what had actually been used. So, I ended up sourcing Zerex HOAT coolant (which appeared to be what was in my bike anyway) and did a complete flush and refresh just to be sure that I was not mixing types. Otherwise, I would not have changed the coolant knowing that it had already been changed once after delivery from the factory.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Simian73

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
Surely if the service manual suggests that the coolant should be changed at 3 years which you say your bike is then just take it to another dealer and get it done? I presume if you have an issue further down the line then they may use the fact you have tampered with the cooling system as a lever against any warranty claim??

Recent Topics

nonskid