Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin 'Lifetime' updates  (Read 1013 times)

Offline expressshaftie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Monmouth
Garmin 'Lifetime' updates
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
Seems Garmin view of my life is a bit limited.  Have been off road with my Zumo 550 for 3 years but having just bought an XRT decided to fire up the old Zumo (if it ain't broke...etc etc)
I had a 'lifetime updates' copy of the s/w but when I connected the unit to Garmin via my PC/internet find that they want £50 to update to current and £75 for a new 'lifetime' licence !!!

I just checked the T&Cs and note

"you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more."

Will contact their customer support but looks like I've been legally stiffed! :024:

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Master
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
Re: Garmin 'Lifetime' updates
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
I've come across this before, heads they win tails you lose. No surprise that there's a healthy market in hooky updates.....

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
Hmmm. Never knew that about the lifetime updates.

I have one of the original 2007 Zumo 550's with a really low serial number and it is still functioning well. It is still getting updates and has the very latest mapping on board. I am sure if Garmin saw it they would want to renege as all the rubber bits are perished and held together with glue. I must warn my mates about that 24 month condition as a number of them have old Zumos that they never updated. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline flying tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: RV 125 & tiger XC
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
Interesting and helpful post.
Thanks for heads up.
ex ukgser
billy no-mates

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer Xc
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
Thanks

Just updated my 5 year old 390LM with the new maps

Thanks for posting
2018 Xca, BMW K1600 GTL, GT380

If money can't buy happiness, explain motorbikes and beer

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:32:11 AM »
Good to know. I just updated my Zumo 550, which is in itself an adventure, because the North American map set no longer fits on the 550 internal memory and Garmin doesn't permit it to be loaded to the external SD card. You have to get creative and copy files around after the fact to get it all to fit on the SD card.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Good to know. I just updated my Zumo 550, which is in itself an adventure, because the North American map set no longer fits on the 550 internal memory and Garmin doesn't permit it to be loaded to the external SD card. You have to get creative and copy files around after the fact to get it all to fit on the SD card.

This contributed to me upgrading to a Zumo 390 even though my trusty 2810 worked fine with Open Source maps after Garmin stopped releasing updates. As the data became more detailed the map tiles got more bloaty meaning you had to load just the tiles on your active route.
Even for the 390 the data are so huge now that they have split Europe into 2 separate sections which leads to confusion. Garmin make a great product but they never like to make things simple for consumers.

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
Yes, the maps in my 390 are now Europe North and Europe South. Not sure how that will affect planning at this time. I guess when I cross the border I will have to split the route planning.

Looking at the complete file on the PC the file is about 5Gb. I don't know what storage capcity the 390 has so it may be that it won't allow too many route in storage?

As you say, Garmin must have a whole department devoted to making the customer experience difficult

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumps [+]
Yes, the maps in my 390 are now Europe North and Europe South. Not sure how that will affect planning at this time. I guess when I cross the border I will have to split the route planning.

Looking at the complete file on the PC the file is about 5Gb. I don't know what storage capcity the 390 has so it may be that it won't allow too many route in storage?

As you say, Garmin must have a whole department devoted to making the customer experience difficult

You should be able to ascertain the storage capacity on your 390 if You first convert it to a Mass Storage mode. Then You can connect to Your PC and open the device file to see the storage capacity. Just have a look on Google to see how Your 390 is converted and carry on from there. The conversion is reversible in an instant. I have my 590 permanently converted to allow connection with Mapsource.

Offline grumps

• Explorer Master
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
I wish I understood that!!!!

I'll try and figure it.

Thanks

Recent Topics