Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: K&N Oil Filter problem?  (Read 794 times)

Offline tcall52

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: GA
K&N Oil Filter problem?
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:09:28 PM »
My 2013 Explorer had a leaking final drive, so I took it to the dealer for repair.  $1800 later....no help from Triumph, but I digress.  The service dept. guy called me this morning and said they noticed that I had a K&N oil filter on the bike.  He tells me they have gotten some sort of official word from Triumph that these filters should not be used on Triumphs...something about oil pressure problems. Anyone here heard of this before?  I’ve used K&N oil filters for years with zero problems, but will probably switch to Triumph filters now since it’s not a big deal either way.
Tom

Offline kwacka

• Explorer Master
  • remain rigidly flexible!!
  • Bike: TEx + BMW R1150GS
  • City / Town: Portsmuff
Re: K&N Oil Filter problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:25:59 PM »
I've always used OEM oil filters on all of my vehicles, they are designed and quality controlled to perform exactly as the engine designers intended. Whilst K&N are a reputable brand, they may have a feature that affects oil pressure, perhaps by allowing oil to drain back into the sump when the engine is stopped? OEM filters don't cost much more than after market, so I think it makes sense, and always use quality oil.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 01:26:50 AM »
FWIW, I read that Triumph branded oil filters are made by WIX.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
It's worth looking at the price of the service kit for the TEX. If you're doing a service by the book - spark plugs, air filter and so on - it's probably cheaper to get the oil filter as part of that kit than to buy separate components with an aftermarket oil filter.

Online owl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SDR+ Tex XC
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
I've had K&N oil filters on my 2014 Tex for the last two years, with no problems whatsoever.

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »
more than likely he was referring to this:

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

the filter 'nut' has been seen to rust and create a bit of a leak....that would certainly have an effect on oil pressure!

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRT
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 02:37:15 PM »
I use K&N on both my Explorer and Trophy.    I love the simplicity of using the 'nut', and in fact, I can change the filter on my Trophy without removing any bodywork at all. 

I've used K&N oil filters for years, and ran them on my sport/track bikes.    I'm not changing until someone comes up with a better design.
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by thumper [+]
I use K&N on both my Explorer and Trophy.    I love the simplicity of using the 'nut', and in fact, I can change the filter on my Trophy without removing any bodywork at all. 

I've used K&N oil filters for years, and ran them on my sport/track bikes.    I'm not changing until someone comes up with a better design.
I once bought an R1100R that had a K&N oil filter installed by the dealer. When I tried to remove it via the nut, the bloody thing just twisted off. Since the oil filter at that time was recessed in a silo in the boxer engine, I had to go to extreme lengths to remove it, because there was no grip for a cap wrench.

When I finally got it off, it seemed evident that the gasket was dry -- the mechanic had failed to oil the gasket before installation. Have not used a K&N filter since.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I once bought an R1100R that had a K&N oil filter installed by the dealer. When I tried to remove it via the nut, the bloody thing just twisted off. Since the oil filter at that time was recessed in a silo in the boxer engine, I had to go to extreme lengths to remove it, because there was no grip for a cap wrench.

When I finally got it off, it seemed evident that the gasket was dry -- the mechanic had failed to oil the gasket before installation. Have not used a K&N filter since.

That sounds a bit harsh - K&N can hardly be responsible for the inept mechanic who obviously didn't know how to do his job.

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:10:08 AM »
K&N had a recall on some filters a while back due to faulty welding around the nut which caused leaking and pressure problems. When I bought my last one I asked the supplier about the recall and he knew nothing about it. He later phoned me after he made enquiries and told me that it was a small batch of filters affected but the problem was quickly recognised and the filter I ordered was from unaffected new stock so no worries.
I checked the filter I received thoroughly before using it. Seems to be fine and I've have no problems since its been in place.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:12:30 AM by Grey tiger »

Recent Topics

nonskid