Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fender Extenders  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Jarvis

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Wellington, Somerset
Fender Extenders
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
Hi
Who makes the best front fender extender to fit my 2016 Explorer xca, plus had a rear spray deflector on my 800xc worked really well keeping the crap off the back of the bike in the wet. Is there one out there for the explorer. Heard about a company call Cymarc but know nothing about them.
Cheers
Jarvis

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Fender Extenders
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
The Explorer is the first bike I've had in about ten years that doesn't seem to need a fenda-extenda, but general rule of thumb is to type it into eBay and buy whatever comes up cheapest, fix it by bonding with Sikaflex 290 rather than God-awful screws, or rivets.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
Triumph do a front fender extender but it's not always listed among the accessories online. Part number is A9708362. There are of course cheaper options from the usual suspects - try Skidmarx, Powerbronze, Pyramid Plastics etc ??

For the rear mud flap many forum members do DIY with cut up rubber mats, garden seed trays, or any other source of rubber or plastic that's cheap, easily available and easily cut to fit behind the number plate.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Triumph do a front fender extender but it's not always listed among the accessories online. Part number is A9708362. There are of course cheaper options from the usual suspects - try Skidmarx, Powerbronze, Pyramid Plastics etc ??

For the rear mud flap many forum members do DIY with cut up rubber mats, garden seed trays, or any other source of rubber or plastic that's cheap, easily available and easily cut to fit behind the number plate.

:0461:

I offered up a third party one to my front mudguard but it ran a little too close to the actual tyre for my liking so bought the Triumph one (as mentioned by Will), excellent fit and looks a lot neater. Little more expensive than the aftermarket's but worth it IMO. And works bang-on.

For the rear, I fitted the Touratech number plate splash guard - works well to keep muck off the top box and rear end
https://shop.touratech.com/number-plate-splash-guard-for-triumph-tiger-explorer.html

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Here is the $10 hugger that I made up. It is an automotive splash guard. I used the other one to extend the rear fender.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:20:10 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Foxes

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XCX Low
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
I ordered the touratech rear splash guard 4 months ago, still waiting. Touratech allow you to order, take your money,but don't seem to have the part, would never use them again.

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
I also tried to fit aftermarket extender to front. was very careful, drilled four holes, all lined perfectly to mudguard only to find it was rubbing on tyre. think it was pyramid .now riding with four little holes.!!!

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazthebike [+]
I also tried to fit aftermarket extender to front. was very careful, drilled four holes, all lined perfectly to mudguard only to find it was rubbing on tyre. think it was pyramid .now riding with four little holes.!!!

Had the same issue - which is why I went for the Triumph one. Although I think had I removed the sticky stuff that Pyramid put on the fenda xtender and just bolted it on (or put on with some bathroom silicone) it might have fixed on ok and given just enough clearance.

The Triumph one though extends the mudguard perfectly with plenty of clearance - and is bolted on, so if you get one, it could hide the 4 small holes (as you have to drill the mudguard to fit it).
Look at the fitting instructions for part A9708362 on http://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx :)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Although I think had I removed the sticky stuff that Pyramid put on the fenda xtender and just bolted it on (or put on with some bathroom silicone) it might have fixed on ok and given just enough clearance.
Been there, done that...
Tried the sticky Pyramid sh*t first, found not enough clearance, then removed it and used the bolts.
Perfect fit.

And believe me, this front extender is MUCH needed.
(unless you like having the exhaust headers being covered in crap... until they rust and fail)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
And believe me, this front extender is MUCH needed.
(unless you like having the exhaust headers being covered in crap... until they rust and fail)

Karcher, but only when actually needed, never seen a car driver worry about the colour of his exhaust pipes  :001:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics