Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Cheshire UK  (Read 493 times)

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Helsby, Cheshire
Hi from Cheshire UK
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »
Hi All, Currently riding a 2006 955i Tiger which is still a great bike and has served me well. I'm considering replacing it with a 2014 Explorer. Very clean example with less than 8,000 miles on the clock. It's had 3 services and has Triumph panniers, engine bars and heated seat. I've not test ridden the bike yet and I'm deliberating on a couple of things, maybe someone can help;

The 955i is a tall heavy bike and I manage it just fine but is the Explorer more cumbersome? Low speed turns and wheeling it in and out of garages and especially.

With the exception of the above what other specs/accessories can I expect to find as standard on this model?

What sensible mods would you recommend?

I'm a big fan of Baglux covers and bags. Which is the best suited bag because I can't seem to find a recommendation on the Baglux site?

Are there any weak points to the bike and does the finish quality cope with British weather?

Thanks in anticipation

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Hi from Cheshire UK
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
The Explorer is top heavy - the only way to find out if you can cope with it is to try wheeling it about. I can manage to paddle mine about but struggle pushing it but this is 'coz I'm old, short & unfit. On tight slow speed turns I struggle with the reach to the 'bars  - 2" Rox risers are the best solution favoured by many to bring bars up & back closer to the rider.

The accessories fitted when new depends on which variant it is and what deal enticing freebies were fitted - Triumph offered different packages at different times. Crash bars are a must in case you drop it - many fit SW Motech upper bars as well as the Triumph lower ones. As a personal preference I'd want heated grips, handguards & foglights. For serious off roading get better h/guards than the Triumph ones which really only offer wind protection for road use.

I have a Baglux tank cover. It only covers the central bit of the tank, not the side bits where the Triumph badges are - but that's fine by me as I only wanted to avoid zips & belt buckles scratching the back of the tank. I am yet to find a Baglux tank bag that fits the shape of the Explorer tank. For long tours if I want a tank bag I remove the cover & use a Triumph tank bag and fit a cloth under the straps to protect the tank. The Triumph tank bay isn't to everyone's taste - I only got one 'coz it was cheap 2nd hand on Ebay. You might possibly be able to fit a filler cap mounted bag and use the Baglux cover but I've never tried. For day rides I use a universal tail bag strapped on either the pillion seat or rear rack instead.

The finish of both my Tex's have coped with the British climate but I use ACF50 regularly in the winter. I'd recommend a duck tail & shock guard to help keep the crud off the back of the bike - try Palmer Products or make your own. There are huggers available but they have issues as they flex & don't fit very well or securely due to the mounting limitations of the single sided swinging arm - I had one on my first TEx but didn't bother for my current one and rely on the d/tail & shock guard.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:29 PM »
Hello, I had a Tiger 885i for 10 years (identical to the 955i apart from engine size). I have to say I loved that bike. Yes it also was a big heavy bike. I tried the Tiger 800 before buying a new Explorer end of 2016. The T800 just felt small to me and I preferred the larger TEX. The Explorer is no more top heavy in my opinion than the previous Tiger 885i/955i given these bikes also had larger capacity fuel tanks with the extra associated weight. With both bikes and any bike for that matter it helps if you can get your feet as flat as possible at a standstill. There are lots of posts on this forum about lowering kits if that's a potential problem. As previously mentioned, upper crashbars are pretty useful to say the least. A neighbour of mine came back from the Dealer having literally just picked up his Gen 1 TEX last summer and proceeded to drop it doing a slow speed U-turn. Result was broken turn signal, scuffed tank and dislocated shoulder! GIVI tanklock tankbags work well and are very convenient. Several sizes available. Too much extra weight on the tank exacerbates the weight up high of course. Front fenda extender helps with the road crap. Again as mentioned the ROX Risers can help with the riding position if that's a problem for you. All in all you'll really enjoy the bike if you decide to get it. Good luck!
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies. Just arranged a test ride for Friday. Looking forward to it and hoping the bike lives up to expectations.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
Hi also from Cheshire (Macc lad now living in Holmes Chapel and working at Daresbury), I used to like the 955i when I had my Africa Twin, but I couldn't get round that huge fat ass petrol tank, I've since had a Tiger 800, Sport and now an Explorer, all with, yes you got it, fat ass petrol tanks  :008:

The high position and size of the petrol tank is what makes it feel top heavy, more so when doing tight turns at slow speed with a full tank, BMW get round this on their GS's with lower tanks and low CofG Boxer engine, but that's another story.

I have to ride my bike up onto the pavement and then reverse paddle it down the drive between our brace of shiny AUDI's (well the wife's is shiny), it's a little more difficult on the Tex than the other two, but not so you would notice so much, I've had mine for a year now and most of that time has been recovering from a broken leg (Hutchy style) and the only problem I've had is getting it up on the centre stand, but it'll come good soon (or I just won't bother using it) when I'm back to full fitness.

Mine was an ex-factory bike, so it came with the whole Triumph catalogue thrown at it, I'd agree with Will Morgan about the crash bars, fog lights, heated grips and handguards, though I disagree about the usefulness of ABS handguards, I've crash tested two sets on different bikes, the last set on the Sport at high speed and I've still got all my fingers !

I've got a heated seat and switch assembly and an aluminium belly pan that I'll be re-advertising soon if you're interested, I've got the Triumph topbox and panniers which work Ok, but they're expensive for what they are, don't have a huge capacity and the lower pannier brackets annoy the hell out of me, but I got them cheap with the bike with matching locks.

I still need to get a radiator guard and flat foot for the sidestand, both pretty essential IMO  :028:

Mine's a 2015 Mk1, with just over 10,000 miles on it, half of which I've done in the past year.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »
Ok, still not an Explorer owner. I've viewed and ridden two bikes now and I'm beginning to fine tune my preferred bike.

It should be no earlier than a 2014/15 UK plate, low mileage, panniers. Desirable options include, crash bars, fr extender, rad guard, hand guards, rear hugger or deflector.

Positive - Awesome motor, great riding position with a roomy seat and love the shaft drive. Brakes good and suspension is supple but not bouncy.

Negative - First test ride I noticed the rear plastics were out of alignment. On investigation it appeared that the two sub frame diagonals weren't parallel. Furthermore the Givi crash bars were damaged and poorly repaired. I walked away from this one. The second bike was in very poor condition. There were signs of very bad corrosion and paint flaking around the drive shaft housing, front of the engine around the crankcase/sump. Rust on rear wheel nuts and general evidence of a lack of care. I get that these machines are to be ridden but an occasional wash off might help. This one has stayed in the shop too.

I'll keep looking.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »
Just a thought but don't exclude the Gen II versions as their prices have dropped since the 1200 was released and you might find the changes from the Gen I significantly useful? Good luck with your hunt.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Good call walking away from the wonky framed one  :028:

As Tiger855, well worth having a look at early 2016 models, especially any languishing in dealer showrooms unsold  :821:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
After a month long search I followed the advice here, thanks, and settled on a Gen 2 XR in white with just 1200 miles on the clock. Comes with Triumph metal panniers, crash bars and front extender plus all the usual XR stuff. As you'd expect it is unmarked and rides like new. Most of what I'd viewed, Gen 1's mainly, were a bit disappointing in terms of their overall appearance so I'd decided to look at a later low mileage bike. I did consider the higher spec models but felt the XR would be suited to my riding style and my wallet. I pick the bike up the week after next  :047:

Recent Topics

nonskid