Author Topic: Radiator coolant being boiled out  (Read 7451 times)

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: Radiator coolant being boiled out
Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:07 PM
Good read.  I've been going thru pretty much the same scenario with my 1050.  Tried cap, then thermostat, then thermostat out, no joy.  Using a laser thermometer found the lower third of my radiator was cool, about 85* while the upper half was at 200*.  Radiator is currently out to a shop for cleaning, fingers crossed this fixes it, otherwise I fear a headgasket is in order.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline shanegould

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 triumph Explore
  • City / Town: sydney
Reply #51 on: November 29, 2020, 01:50:29 AM
Hi Guys ,

I have just bought a 2013 triumph tiger explorer 1200. Just a question about the tempture gauge . When I'm  riding it stays at 3 bars but can go to 4 bars . But i noticed when its stopped i and running for 10 min in 41c heat it can go to 5 then the fan comes on and goes back to 4 bars and fan will switch off . is this a normal thing on these bikes .

On my gsxs 1000 the temp gauge never moves from half way .

Also how to get to the thermostat and where is it located . I cant find anything online .

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #52 on: November 29, 2020, 04:16:37 AM
*Originally Posted by shanegould [+]
Hi Guys ,

I have just bought a 2013 triumph tiger explorer 1200. Just a question about the tempture gauge . When I'm  riding it stays at 3 bars but can go to 4 bars . But i noticed when its stopped i and running for 10 min in 41c heat it can go to 5 then the fan comes on and goes back to 4 bars and fan will switch off . is this a normal thing on these bikes .

Also how to get to the thermostat and where is it located . I cant find anything online .
Completely normal.

Thermostat is located on the back of the cylinder head under the throttle bodies. Follow the hose, which ends at the thermostat.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline shanegould

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 triumph Explore
  • City / Town: sydney
Reply #53 on: November 29, 2020, 04:53:28 AM
Do I need to remove the throttle body to access the thermostat

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #54 on: November 29, 2020, 05:13:30 PM
Do I need to remove the throttle body to access the thermostat
That is what the service manual says. You might not have to if you can get a wrench on both bolts but it will be very tight.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline cpbravo

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 TEX 1200
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #55 on: December 09, 2020, 04:27:20 AM
Hi Guys ,

Yeah, same on my 2013 TEx. It was odd to me first coming from different motorbikes where I've never seen them reaching more than half of the heat gauge.
But nothing to worry on TEx, as long as you make sure the coolant levels are maintained and fan is working.
Cheers