Author Topic: Tyre pressures  (Read 5419 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Tyre pressures
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:54 AM
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
I stick to the metal sticker on the fork that tells me what pressure goes to which side.
I would normally too, in my case the sticker is on the drive shaft, 32/39 PSI (cold) but the bike is so much better at 36/42, mostly down to the front (It is in Bar of course, I just prefer the granularity of PSI).

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 09:19:37 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
(It is in Bar of course, I just prefer the granularity of PSI).
Oh yeah sure! 0.06 bar certainly makes a huge difference ;-)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 09:27:38 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Very funny Nik!  :0461:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 12:34:18 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

:745:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 (2012)
  • City / Town: Laksev├ąg
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 03:57:27 PM
Old thread, but maybe some are still following it...

I have run my 2012 with 2,5 and 2.9, as per the manual.

However, I have always thought the bike were a bit heavy to steer through the curves (i  usually drive with the panniers and top box).

Now, a few days ago, I increased the pressure to 2,7 and 3,1. The difference is huge. It stears like a sport bike (I feel) through the curves now. Much better handling on the Norwegian roads.

Any thoughts?

I have the Michelin Road 5 trail edition.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 11:01:15 PM
*Originally Posted by coolhand [+]

However, I have always thought the bike were a bit heavy to steer through the curves (i  usually drive with the panniers and top box).

Now, a few days ago, I increased the pressure to 2,7 and 3,1. The difference is huge. It stears like a sport bike (I feel) through the curves now. Much better handling on the Norwegian roads.

Any thoughts?

The higher the pressure, the smaller your contact patch. The newer Explorer/T12s are actually running at OEM pressures that are lower than what our gen1 Explorers were specified to run. Anyway, take it easy in the rain for a while, until you get a feel for how they handle with lower traction.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 11:46:54 AM
*Originally Posted by coolhand [+]

Any thoughts?

I run 2.5 /2.9  on the same tires ..when they come up to temp they are at about 2.9/3.2 and work very well

Offline Bluto2013

• Explorer Member
  • Living the Dream, baby!
  • Bike: TigerEx1200 2013
  • City / Town: Kinshasa
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 03:33:09 PM
Old post, but I thought I would throw in .02 cents.....
Many are giving their good experience without describing their riding pattern.  If I am touring and commuting for days and weeks, on smooth tarmac, I go a little high.  5 PSI over recommend?  Don't forget the tire flex and bounce is like a spring, and you get benefit from 'pre-load';stiffer.  And better mileage and wear.
Then you can take it 5 PSI lower, if you are more off-road, rougher roads, more debris/obstacles.  Even lower, if you are spending a day in the sand or full-on adventure riding? 

Stopping and filling, stopping and lowering are a PITA- but I always feel better after I do it.  It really is a 'feel' thing, more than performance, I think.
Don't know about the most modern iteration, but the older GoldWings had a freakin' on-board compressor.  Good gravy, was that a cool feature!
Bluto2013

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:55 PM
Hey, I have an onboard compressor, tucked away in a storage tube tied to the engine bars.  And I have a power socket hanging under the seat ready for a quick plugin (was fitted by the dealer for trickle charging).

Yes, this is an old thread, but very relevant.

I, along with quite a few others, was surprised by the drop in pressures from the TEx to the T1200,  36,42 to 32,39, if my memory is correct.
One scenario that Bluto2013 doesn't mention, is going quickly through twisties (bitumen sealed).
With the previous comment about increased pressure means reduced contact patch, I'm inclined to stick to the factory figures.
My biggest fear when going around a tight bend, is the front or back letting go.  And I'm not a very adventurous rider.  I've had the back let go a little bit a few times.  Might have been debris on the road.  That tightens my bum up quick.  Tends to make me a slower and less confident rider for quite a while after.
-Tyres were Scorpion trail 2, currently Anakee 3.  I've done about 44kkm on the T1200 now, pretty well all on bitumen.

Does anyone go quick round corners on higher pressures?
Is there really that much difference in comfort with different pressures?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 10:10:05 PM
I really prefer those higher pressures, especially on the front. I find steering vague at the lower pressure but my weight would have a bearing on that too. I did mention on the forum before that I had specifically asked Bridgestone Technical Services what pressure to use on their Battlax A41 stating Triumph's preference for 32/39, they said stick with 36/42. I would love to know Triumphs reasoning behind the lower pressure recommendation.

nonskid