Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tour in Ireland  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Tour in Ireland
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Herve CH [+]
Thanks to all of you for your reply.

Att Griff:This is what i'm looking for ... rough, grass, isolated roads ...  :002: this is my way to make road trips . two weeks to spend ...
Any info welcome .
many thks

Do you have mapsource or Basecamp on your PC ?  If so perhaps You could pm me and I can email you some route sections that I have enjoyed.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
I see You have included the Ring of Kerry. Personally I would swap it for the two or three peninsulas that You bypassed just south of it. However that also would depend on the type of roads that You like to ride.   :002:

I'd agree - although the Ring of Kerry is nice just to drive straight across when heading North (or South) by going up across the hills and mountains

If you can though do try to include Healy Pass http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/ireland/4289-healy-pass.html a fantastic bit of road to ride - preferably without panniers. I rode it 3 times just for the heck of it, it was that much fun!

This may also give you some ideas - I went on two of Ian's tours around Ireland, WAW and the Peninsula's tours - very well organised and run http://www.explorer-ian.com/motorbike-tours-and-prices
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:28:42 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Herve CH

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
Do you have mapsource or Basecamp on your PC ?  If so perhaps You could pm me and I can email you some route sections that I have enjoyed.

Basecamp is perfect ! PM sent .
Many thanks  :062:

Offline JacD

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Dublin
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
Almost all of the roads along the West Coast bring you to fantastic places. The Wild Atlantic Way loosely ties a lot of them together.

There are only a couple of roads around Connemara (Galway / Mayo). Good places to visit in the area are Roundstone, Clifden, Letterfrack, Killary Harbour and Westport. North of Clifden watch out for Omey Island which you can drive on to at low tide. South of Clifden drive to Ballyconeely and keep an eye out for back roads leading down to loads of small beaches with crystal clear water and incredibly white sand. Like the Carribean except freezing.

If you want Wild try the road to KEEM beach on Achill island in Co. Mayo about an hours drive beyond Westport. Achill Island is reached by bridge. The narrow road is west of all of the settled parts of the island and climbs to around 600 or 700m above the Atlantic with no guard rail before dropping down to KEEM beach where there are no houses just a car park.

If you need somewhere to stay Pure Magic Kitesurfing in Achill have a B&B that is run by a bunch of French guys who refused to go home.

If you do end up in Donegal the road through the poison Glen at the foot of Mount Errigal is another wild spot.

Enjoy the trip !

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by JacD [+]
a bunch of French guys who refused to go home.
I get their point. Totally.
(c8

Offline Herve CH

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Many Thanks JacD
highly appreciated  :400: :037:

Will adapt my trip, a few weeks to wait !

Online communicator

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer cranberry
  • City / Town: Cergy
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
Here is my project of motorcycle ride in Ireland during the month of June 2019.

This flipbook contains travel dates that are old but the rest is current.

http://www.wachter.fr/irlande2016/

(Allow flash player)

Recent Topics