Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to run a cable from handlebars to under seat (with pictures)  (Read 2183 times)

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
How to run a cable from handlebars to under seat (with pictures)
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
I thought I was going to have to undo fastenings and remove the trim on the side of the tank, but other posts suggested it was possible to get a cable through without doing that - so here we go... In my case I am passing a USB power cable from the handlebars to under the seat. Pictures are based on a 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT.

It's easier to pass a cable on the right hand side than the left. You can see in these two photos (left hand side first) that there is more space on the right to begin with (due to asymmetrical positioning of radiator hoses):

I fed the USB cable by hand through an existing cable entry point by the head stock:

In these next two photos, I show the cable coming out by the side of the engine, then rerouted between some other pipes so that it will be later hidden out of sight:

The next step is to use coat hanger wire pushed through from the under seat area, as shown in the next two photos. I wrapped duct tape round and beyond the end of the wire, to avoid scratching and also to give something more flexible to catch hold of at the point the wire would emerge (shown in second photo):

I then pulled the coat hanger wire out so it was directly on top of the hose, and taped the USB connector to the wire so that I could pull it through:

And finally arriving with the USB connector under the seat:

My original cable (actually an Ultimateaddons USB Cable To 2 Pin Waterproof Connector) was 1.5 metres long and needed extending by just under 0.5 metre to reach the USB socket at the rear of the under seat area. Finally I plugged another adapter cable into the 2 Pin Waterproof Connector at the handlebars to give me the micro USB connection for my phone:

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Re: How to run a cable from handlebars to under seat (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
My original cable (actually an Ultimateaddons USB Cable To 2 Pin Waterproof Connector) was 1.5 metres long and needed extending by just under 0.5 metre to reach the USB socket at the rear of the under seat area. Finally I plugged another adapter cable into the 2 Pin Waterproof Connector at the handlebars to give me the micro USB connection for my phone.

I've discovered the cable I ran has too much voltage drop and not enough current to stop my phone battery from discharging during use. This won't likely be an issue if you run 12V to the handlebars but in my case it's 5V from the USB. I will have to improvise something to overcome the voltage drop.

Cheers
guiri

Offline McCrae72

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
I have a twin usb socket plugged in to the front power port, so you can power 2 usb items at the bars no need to run wire all the way back to the usb socket under the seat.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
I decided to run an SAE cable to the handlebars from under the seat. I made a Y splitter with an SAE connector and the waterproof connectors used by Triumph to connect the top box power, so I could tap into the power without modifying the top box wiring. Here is the splitter in progress. I added another waterproof connector onto the ends of the soldered wires, and the SAE connector is out of shot on the right:

The waterproof connectors are listed on eBay as "2 WAY ECONSEAL AMP WATERPROOF WIRING ELECTRICAL MULTI CONNECTOR MALE FEMALE".

When I removed the USB cable I pulled some paracord behind it, and then used that to pull thru an SAE cable from the handlebars. The SAE connector was a bit more bulky than the USB connector and it was a harder job, needed rerouting slightly and the use of the coat hanger again.

I've got 12V at the handlebars now, and am using an Optimate SAE to USB charger for the phone:

It leaves the AUX socket free for other things (camera, heated clothing etc).

Cheers
guiri

Offline Dazza190

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Crowborough
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks, will need this myself next week!

Cheers

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
Im collecting my late 2017 TEX next week, so Ill be on to all this malarkey! Ive just taken most of the 'wires' and leads Id become so used to, off my 2015 bike.

My satnav was running off a USB port that Id wired into the pilot-light on the headlight- it worked reliably over the 3  1/2 years since i fitted it.

My heated clothing was straight to the battery- but i see from the owner manual that this might be a bit of a task as theres a plug-in module on top of the battery?

The other accessory that i completely forgot about was my heated grips, which Id wired direct- but i'll not be needing those, as the new bikes got FF ones.

Any comments, advice from your experience?
Patrick J Morgan

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by PatM [+]
Im collecting my late 2017 TEX next week, so Ill be on to all this malarkey! Ive just taken most of the 'wires' and leads Id become so used to, off my 2015 bike.

My satnav was running off a USB port that Id wired into the pilot-light on the headlight- it worked reliably over the 3  1/2 years since i fitted it.

My heated clothing was straight to the battery- but i see from the owner manual that this might be a bit of a task as theres a plug-in module on top of the battery?

The other accessory that i completely forgot about was my heated grips, which Id wired direct- but i'll not be needing those, as the new bikes got FF ones.

Any comments, advice from your experience?

Adding accessory wiring to a Gen-2/3 is a lot different to the Gen-1's because of the CanBus wiring. In fact it can be a pain, as you can't just "take it off" any powered item in many instances.
From adding Sat Nav, additional DRL's and additional spots to my Gen-2, I'd recommend you fit one of Marks 5-way switched fuse outlets.
https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/product-page/5-way-switched-fused-power-outlet-1
Mine is mounted under the seat and I took the switched power from the rear USB socket.

Wiring forwards under the tank I found quite simple. If you take off the front USB socket, you'll find you can actually thread a wire through from the front of the tank back to the battery area on the RHS (as you sit on the bike), by pushing it under the plastic covers ect that go along the side of the tank (you may have to remove the odd bolt or two to make it a bit easier, but it's really dead simple. Once at the front, if you carefully unscrew the 3 plastic screws each side of the cowling around the headstock, you can then thread the wires up to the front of headstock to get power to your satnav or whatever else it is you want to run.

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Yet to do this, but I've wired the clothing lead direct to the battery-i need a usb or an Iphone lead up front, as I plan to use WAZE on my 'waterproof' snigger...case with an iPhone.
Riding yesterday it got to about 4 degrees and I noticed a warning on the dashboard-how cool is that! — Not just the ice figure flashing or whatever the last one did.
Im keep to see how much and what the triumph bluetooth satnav interface costs and adds to the dashboard next year.

The heated seat and grips are a novelty- lowest recorded was about 4 degrees- so not that cold- but i was on it for 300 miles to Watford and back.
Patrick J Morgan

Recent Topics