Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gerbing G12 heated gloves  (Read 1230 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Villager

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 111
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
  • Country: UK
Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« on: February 11, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
https://gerbing.co.uk/g-12-heated-gloves.html

I gave the G12 their first test today - temperature down to 3C and snow showers in the Cotswolds. The are comfy and warm. They will be even warmer now I have enabled the 75% setting (they come with 25 & 50% enabled but have 2 higher settings with warnings of potential fatality.)

Combined with my heated Keis insoles & vest and the heated seat on my other bike (Triumph Explorer) I remained toasty.

Of course, the true test will be in rain as they claim to be waterproof. The snow flurries weren't heavy enough today to give a proper test.   

Online glenn389

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 28
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
  • Country: UK
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Myself and my missus have the XRS12 version and would say they are the best piece of winter kit we have.  :028:

Offline McCrae72

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
  • Country: UK
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
Not heated but I recently bought the Rukka R-Star gloves, 2 chambers so you can have the bulk of the thermal lining on the back of your hands and with heated grips on keep you toastie. Properly waterproof and windproof too. Damned expensive but they are very good.

Offline nuttySweeet

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
I've had these gloves for a couple of years now. They're amazing gloves and keep your hands really warm, but alas they are no longer waterproof. If it rains heavily they turn into big leather sponges! But your hand are still kept warm so at least there's that... I'm going to try treating them with something to try and make them waterproof again. Any tips are welcome.

Offline McCrae72

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Bike: Tiger explorer XRX
  • Country: UK
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »
You could try a Nikwax leather treatment, just apply rub in and let dry, works on leather boots🤔

Offline nuttySweeet

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by McCrae72 [+]
You could try a Nikwax leather treatment, just apply rub in and let dry, works on leather boots🤔

Ta I'll give that a go thanks  :002:

Online Griff

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3040
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
Has anyone tried the battery powered gloves that are currently available in various makes ?   If so, opinions would be appreciated.

Offline Villager

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 111
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
  • Country: UK
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
I've had these gloves for a couple of years now. They're amazing gloves and keep your hands really warm, but alas they are no longer waterproof. If it rains heavily they turn into big leather sponges! But your hand are still kept warm so at least there's that... I'm going to try treating them with something to try and make them waterproof again. Any tips are welcome.

I'd try something like the Nikwax conditioner - I had a free sample from Nikwax's monthly giveaway: it works but not my favourite to apply. It leaves a white residue in stitches & seams. My favourite is Gliptone's Liquid Leather - smells like the new leather you used to get with Jags. Then spray with Nikwax waterproofer spray designed for Goretex jackets. The former will help stop the water soaking in  and the spray should make the rain run off, so belt & braces...

Online Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 862
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
Has anyone tried the battery powered gloves that are currently available in various makes ?   If so, opinions would be appreciated.

My wife has Keis gloves that can have batteries fitted. We looked at using their optional batteries but they're expensive and a lot bigger & heavier than expected so stuck to the hard wired option we have set up already. But there is the advantage you can use them off the bike or on another bike without installing the wiring.

Offline nuttySweeet

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Gerbing G12 heated gloves
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Villager [+]
I'd try something like the Nikwax conditioner - I had a free sample from Nikwax's monthly giveaway: it works but not my favourite to apply. It leaves a white residue in stitches & seams. My favourite is Gliptone's Liquid Leather - smells like the new leather you used to get with Jags. Then spray with Nikwax waterproofer spray designed for Goretex jackets. The former will help stop the water soaking in  and the spray should make the rain run off, so belt & braces...

I'll give that a go thanks.

 


Recent Topics

nonskid