Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: US Tiger 1200--Incandescent Turn Signals?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
US Tiger 1200--Incandescent Turn Signals?
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »
There are just a couple YouTube videos of XRT's, and XCA's arriving in the USA, and both examples have incandescent turn signals.   

Triumph's USA website says the higher trim levels have "LED self-cancelling indicators."
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/1200#range

This may not be an issue for some, but as a guy with an XRT on order, this "old tech" has me quite upset.     :232:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:22:19 PM by thumper »
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: US Tiger 1200--Incandescent Turn Signals?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
Yep, there is another video here with an XRT

But it shows the turn indicators with lamps rather than LEDs. You get a good view of that "old tech" at 2:10 in the video.

Maybe there is a US standards issue that means they can't ship with LEDs... No doubt Triumph will sell you the LEDs for you to fit yourself...

Cheers
guiri

Offline mrhydea4

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
I couldn't get them through my dealer because they weren't DOT approved. I got mine through a UK dealer, and they connect right up with no resistors necessary and no issues after almost 2 years.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »
It has always struck me as strange that on the (UK) configuration pages, LED indicators front and rear show as an option on the XRX and XRT even though in the main specs they appear as standard.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by thumper [+]
There are just a couple YouTube videos of XRT's, and XCA's arriving in the USA, and both examples have incandescent turn signals.   

Triumph's USA website says the higher trim levels have "LED self-cancelling indicators."
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/1200#range

This may not be an issue for some, but as a guy with an XRT on order, this "old tech" has me quite upset.     :232:

That's frustrating.  I've wanted the LED turn signals for a while.  Thought about ordering the Euro versions but was sort of waiting and hoping the '18 would have them.  That Korosi Red is gorgeous!

Edit: Just pulled this from the US website -

"In terms of exciting additional features, the XRT stands above all others in the XR range, adding to its existing specification with; adaptive cornering lighting, Triumph Shift Assist, all-LED lighting, titanium and carbon fiber wrapped Arrow silencer, five riding modes to tailor your ride, hill hold, heated grips and seats and an electrically adjustable touring screen."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:59:36 AM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
So, the guy narrating in the second video (posted by guiri) answered my question, stating that he thinks the LED signals aren't DOT approved.  He says their BMW GS bikes brought to the US also have incandescent signals, unlike LED for the Europeans bikes.

I also asked him about the lack of the headlight/DRL switch (@ 2:19 in the video provided by guiri.)    He said low beam headlights are required for US bikes---DRL's alone not being sufficient for US motorcycle laws.

Now I just need to figure out if the same LED bulbs I put in the turn signal housings of my '13 TEx will also fit these (slightly different style) turn signal housings.   
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
Got to admit , those turn signals just look bad on such an expensive bike. :005:

Offline guiri

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by thumper [+]
Now I just need to figure out if the same LED bulbs I put in the turn signal housings of my '13 TEx will also fit these (slightly different style) turn signal housings.

You're still left with an ugly housing (sorry)! The full LED units are much more streamlined, probably allow you to go faster!

Cheers
guiri

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »
My local Triumph dealer had some very sleek looking Triumph LED turn signals, not cheap though at $64 each.  Mounted them, (plug and play) but my riding buddy said unless you were in just the right position behind the bike, they appeared very weak.  As much as I loved the look, I care more about being seen, so they went back to the dealer.

Yamaha has some decent looking LED signals on a few of their US bikes so it's certainly possible to get DOT approval.  Might try and pick some of them up.  To you guys over the pond, how are the Euro signals for visibility when off-angle?
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
My local Triumph dealer had some very sleek looking Triumph LED turn signals, not cheap though at $64 each.  Mounted them, (plug and play) but my riding buddy said unless you were in just the right position behind the bike, they appeared very weak.  As much as I loved the look, I care more about being seen, so they went back to the dealer.

Yamaha has some decent looking LED signals on a few of their US bikes so it's certainly possible to get DOT approval.  Might try and pick some of them up.  To you guys over the pond, how are the Euro signals for visibility when off-angle?

The Euro ones on the new Tiger 1200 are actually really bright and you can see them at all angles. I'd even say they are brighter than the incandescent ones when looking at them straight on. See if you can grab a pair and get them shipped over.

Here are a couple of pictures from the side I just took in a really bright underground parking lot.

Recent Topics