Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are you a first owner of a first generation Tiger Explorer, and if so,  (Read 10941 times)

BigLee and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Hi all!

I am curious as to how many active members of this forum are still the owners of a first generation Explorer which they purchased new. 

For the purpose of answering my question, if you bought the bike after it's model year expired, but it hadn't been sold before, it still qualifies as new.  For instance, I bought a never sold, never titled 2013 Explorer with about 30 miles on it in 2015.  (I believe that would be a considered a used bike in some places, but since it  had not been registered or titled before, in Ohio it is "new".)

It doesn't matter which year Explorer as long as it is the first generation, and doesn't matter when you bought it as long as no one else owned it before you.

And also for the purpose of answering this question, "active" means you logged onto the forum and read the question.  Date of your most recent post or total post count has nothing to do with it.

I don't really have a purpose for asking, don't know what I will do with the responses.  Just curious as to how many "like me" are still here.

So, if you are still riding a first generation Explorer you bought new, please reply and say so.

Thanks in advance

Dick
Dick63

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
Re: Are you a first owner of a first generation Tiger Explorer, and if so,
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »
Yup, I am. Bought mine in 2012 from new and still have it - although it's garaged at the moment as, although I don't mind the cold or the wet, the salt on the road just eats bikes alive. Plus I work from home and so have no need to commute.

Offline owl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SDR+ Tex XC
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
Bought mine brand new in 2014 and still going strong.

I use it all year round, salt or no salt.

Rode last Sunday through a snowstorm and got home covered in ice  :002:

Will be riding it to the London bike show on Friday, whatever the weather.

I get it professionally cleaned and coated in ACF-50 every year, and have no corrosion on it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:45:40 AM by owl »

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
Yup.    I was smitten by the looks of the Explorer when they first debuted, but no Triumph dealers anywhere around.   My local multi-bike dealership started carrying Triumph in 2013, and I was very quickly talking with the sales manager, and my blue '13 TEx was ordered.      It's still the best bike I've ever owned (~ 25 bikes so far.)

A couple months ago, the same sales manager had me decide on which new Tiger 1200 I'd buy, so there's a Crystal White XRT coming in the near future, and I get first right of refusal.    The test ride will probably cause my trusty '13 to get traded-in.   
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Online FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
Yes me too, bought mine in Sept 2012.
Currently 39000 miles on it, still going and looking very well

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
Sort of

Bought my 2015 plate, in Dec 2016, it was an ex-factory bike having belonged to a sales director, so has only ever been registered to me and Triumph.

Probably not what you were after, but  :084:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
I bought a brand new Tex in April 2013.

It's only done about 11500 miles as I only ride in the Spring/Summer months in the UK.
I have done a bit of touring in Europe and the UK and we're off to Ireland in July.
I still think it's a great bike. Easy to ride, quick steering and fast enough for me.
I think it was a bargain back in 2013 £11599 I think.
I think my bike is at least 75% of the newer versions if not more.
I have been tempted by the Gen2/3 but they are very expensive but what isn't these days.
I will keep my bike for at least another year. I'm 55 next year so may treat myself to a new 1200.
All in all the original Tex is still a superb machine.

Offline Richy58

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Groningen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
A2012 .? I bought one last August in Grimsby,England and rode it back to Groningen,Netherlands a week later.And I ain,t looked back since :152:
It wasn,t new but had the full service/maintenance itinary supplied,had the recall etc,its done around 52000 kliks but hasn,t missed a beat
Best bike i have ever owned
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:52:05 PM by Richy58 »

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
Yup, bought mine brand new in 2015 and still have it. I've put 23,000 miles on it so far, and wish I had time to ride it (in nice weather) more. My wife and I have one car between us, so if I need transport whilst she's using the car then the bike is my only option, so I will ride it in most weather if I need to except for snow or ice. Having said that, I don't ride in rain for pleasure, only necessity, and we've had a lot of rain recently, hence my comment about wishing I got out more in nice weather.

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Yes, bought my Launch Edition Explorer new in March 2012 (VIN 543607) and still have it. I have copies of the original V55/1 registration application document that list the model as 'Tiger Explorer Launch'. As I worked next door to the local DVLA office at the time, my dealer asked me to do the honours to save them a trip!

I also still have my Tiger 800XC that was bought new in early 2011 - silver-framed non-ABS version. Both excellent bikes and both get ridden & enjoyed.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Recent Topics

nonskid